The Turbo-Encabulator is Back!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8KHK, Mar 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, just grey wrinkle, like most of us...

73DG

WQ4G and AC0OB like this.
  2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it's missing a couple chicken-head knobs.
    Parts swappers at work?

3. W7TFO

That home-brew monstrosity came to me at a Yuma, AZ hamfest a couple years ago.

It had a really sorry state of internal workmanship, so I stripped it for parts.

The photo was taken when I got it home in situ.

73DG

AD5HR likes this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate when people cannibalize perfectly good equipment...

WQ4G

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the late 70's we (my company and I) were building a digital radar processor. The processor consisted of four 6 foot tall 19 inch racks plus a control console. One rack for range and three racks for azimuth. It was all TTL, so it took two huge air conditioners to keep it cool. There was a power supply in the base of each rack that that provided 10 Volts at 500 amps. In the azimuth section there was a circuit card that was labeled "Non-Accessible Memory".

That was actually a memory board that was made from 1K bit shift registers. The data was written in serially, but you could only read the data at 1K increments. The rest of the data was "Non-Accessible" until it was shifted out.

W3SLK likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Did you ever figure out what it was or what it was supposed to do? Looks like a good collection of parts.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The original technical description of the "turbo-encabulator" was written by British graduate student John Hellins Quick (1923–1991). It was published in 1944 by the British Institution of Electrical Engineers Students' Quarterly Journal[2] as also noted by consulting firm Arthur D. Little in a 1995 reprint of Quick's description, and giving Quick's full name.[3]

The earliest written U.S. source may have been in 1946, in an Arthur D. Little Industrial Bulletin. An early popular American reference to the turbo-encabulator appeared in an article by New York lawyer Bernard Salwen in Time on April 15, 1946. Part of Salwen's job was to review technical manuscripts. He was amused by the technology and passed on the description from the Arthur D. Little pamphlet.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

8. W7TFO

From all appearances, it was a ch. 2-13 television. With a lot of jewelry on the front that wasn't hooked to anything.

The two CRT's were one for image (short persistence), the other for some sort of measurement like video level or baseband. It did have a real Hi-Fi audio amp after the demod, and a 12" full-range speaker.

The chassis (2) had many holes, sockets with no connections, and really sloppy construction overall. Whoever it was, they did have good panel-making skills.

73DG

9. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The second video from Keysight on the Encabulator is even funnier, assuming you watch the first one first.

Their lawyers got ahold of it and cleaned it up.

10. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Encabulator fans likely already know this, but there is an occasionally funny subreddit called VXJunkies that keeps the spirit alive.