The TS830 Needs A Renaissance.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by GM4BRB, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I'm not the only person, I'm sure, that would buy one up immediately. I think the old rigs have so much more going for them than the simple sentimental value, since they were discrete component based Hybrid transceivers, these. OK, the 830 had a PLL unlike its predecessors.

I think Kenwood should forget the pressure from the 'Carbon Trading' muppets and just buy enough Carbon credits that would allow them to restart a fabrication line for some of their best, earlier rigs. Bigger rigs with more steel, less plastic and no VLSI chips means more energy used, but I don't believe in any of that black propaganda anyway.

I can't even look at a Kenwood TS2000 without feeling a bit queezy and uneasy about the future of the activity of Amateur Radio. Bring back the Beef and bones, or the beans and cabbage if you're vegetarian and the real world qualities of the old Hybrid Rigs. Current HF transceivers are coming to resemble software programs, running inside a box controlled by a 64-bit, 4-core µPc.

I want the old rigs, that you can smell and touch, are truly hands on and that we can even fix when they break, probably. Moreover they have tubes. Truly, I hear an earthly cry go out for a Renaissance of what is good, wholesome, useable, virtually unbreakable and that has absolutely nothing to do with the New Order of things.

I have a dream. Please God above let us pass over into the valley of the richly blessed and May it be filled with a Renaissance of Vintage Rebirth Hybrid HF transceivers. Praise God Above, I have A Dream. Now let us start a campaign of letter writing to Kenwood and plead with them to start a Vintage style Hybrid Rig Assembly line.

'Amen.'

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS820S/R820 series also used a PLL to derive heterodyne frequencies. And there's nothing (save a defective power transformer) that's stopping the enterprising individual from buying a '530, '820 or '830...FT901/902 or 101ZD...and rebuilding it, or even updating the rig with more "modern" components and sub assemblies.

3. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take the lot.

TS830? I'll take one, never mind the difficulty of needing to upgrade the 520 front panel with ~6 new holes.

M16's I'll take two, of course and a free training course too; they are available now, you still have the 2nd, except in NYC, Chicago and where?
    I just feel like a change, after all it has become clear that Britain is a communist State. Well, that's what the Government itself would have me believe. And an armed man with a propensity to want to defend himself & his own, against his 'National' or Federal Government, should it ever go rogue, is a deadringer for a bullet through the back of the head from some agent's high-velocity rifle from a Grassy-Knoll!

Plus, Loads of amo and a concealed bunker in NM. Stay in touch.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAtN58fxidQ

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a Ten-Tec Corsair for $180. The funny thing is, the receiver specs are better then my Ft-1000 mk5.

The mk5 is the last expensive rig for me. While I like it, I am done spending money on every new rig in town, only to find out that it doesn't really receive any better then the last one. More dollars for buttons you never use.

Those old boat anchors are real gems. I may even get the Drake out of the attic, to watch the tubes glow. :)

5. K6WAC

K6WAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that motion

Yeah, both the 820 and 830 series are still some of the best equipment available. I miss my old 820s; should never have sold it.

6. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be cremated and buried in my TS-830

7. KJ4KDM

KJ4KDM Guest

I have two 520's and a 820 always lookin for another. The 520 spends more time on the air then my 2000.

8. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree as I sit here listening to the 72 Rag Chew on 7.272 on my TS-520.

I have owned two 520's, one 530S. Currently looking for a good TS-830S that will not cost me an arm and a leg ;)

Sure you have to reload the rig every time you change bands. No auto tuner, no DSP.

I have an Icom 718 sitting here that I now use for digital work. I use the TS-520 for SSB.

I have always said that Ford Mo Co should bring back the 1965 Mustang body on a 2009 chassis and running gear. They'd sell a lot of those cars!

9. KC6RHE

KC6RHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a TS-520 I used for some SSB work and I have a TS-820S in my Cabin in Big Bear. I like the older radio's, feels like you are realy working the band.

I do have a IC-718 with a Auto-Tunner as well and enjoy it but I got a 520 next to it because I enjoy the old radios.

10. KE7LGD

KE7LGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Love my TS-830S

I got my 830s on ebay over a year and a half ago. This is my only HF rig. I think I paid $315. then sent it to Ken K4EAA in Fl. to tune her up like new, and fix afew things, another $300. + shipping. Then I had my elmer, Dave W0RMV teach me how to use this great radio. I became a Ham in 07, before that I was a RTO in Vietnam, you know the new guy gets the TARGET on his back. We have a really great Ham club in St. George Utah and all types of regs on field day. I love the TS-930S they use. That is a great radio.
    Maybe my next. BUT I am very pleased with my TS-830S. I got a TL-922A amp and I'm in hog heaven (Ham Heaven) If Kenwood would make new 830 or 930 again I would be in line right behind you Bro.
    I hag out on 3.913 around 8:30 to 11:00 pm MST and learn alot from Jim N7IU and ED K9HSS and other great Hams there. This old GI enjoys using this wonderful Kenwood Radio. 73, Bruce KE7LGD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.