The TS-890S Is Here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that you are very close to what is going on.
    A major flaw of earlier generations amateur radio equipment is that it is far too reliable, and even decades of typical use do not wear it down.
    If it fails, it is also usually possible for the owner to fix the problem.

This is something that the bean-counters at the manufacturers do not approve of in the long run.

Amateur radio gear that would become obsolete in, say, 2 or 5 years, and which also needed expensive upgrades during this period to stay operational, and finally stopped working completely would be high on the wish-lists of modern manufacturers.

"Boatanchors" or similar gear where you when they stop working or show degraded performance just pulled out the old 807 and replaced it with a new are a deadly threat to the world-view of consumerism...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N2EY, WD4IGX, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you are just being overly nostalgic about the radios you have and then mixed in cars for no good reason.

You have not given any examples of gimmicks or unnecessary specifications or planned obsolescence in ham radios. Amateur manufacturers have always offered a range of radios for different price points and features.

[ADDING: Even if Kenwood or Icom had built the "perfect radio" ten years ago, they would have to develop a replacement, due to changing availability of components. Further, with the advent of SDR in ham radio, the addition of more bands and more features becomes minimal cost. Your claim of "Too many features" echoes the complaint that Mozarts' composition had "Too many notes"! ;) ]

Play the luddite. You dislike SDR radios, just to dislike them. Put your finger in the crumbling dike of technology, because SDR's are the future of radio.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    KA4DPO likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm talking about these, ordinary people like me drive these all over the US. You can't use all of that power because it is impossible to unwind a Hellcat on narrow little cobblestone lanes. If you lived here, you could find some really juicy paved back roads with little or no traffic where you could actually open this baby up. Manual gearboxes went out with high button shoes, none of the high performance cars have those anymore.:)

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...e?src=nl&mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&date=081018

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Still a really fine, feature loaded radio even at the initial price they were still a good deal all things considered. I am still waiting for the TS-890 to hit the market but if it is not what I want then I will most likely opt for the 7610. I am disappointed that the new Yaesu FTdx-101D is not direct digital sampling but it's abilities remain to be seen as Yaesu has not said a word about it since Dayton.

NL7W likes this.
  5. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I truly am sorry for your loss. My apologies if my post picked a scab for you, that wasn't my intention.

7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't even know what you are referring too, honestly, but regardless thank you for being sincere and human!

Been on FT-8 NOT the boards and when not doing that other things we all do around the house, and life.

About FT8: I see W7UUU there many times, small world radio world is.

8. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for the TS-890 price and availability announcement anytime now till the end of the month. I would hope the August built radios would ship in mid to late September. Check your local web ham vendor for the announcement. It should be worth the wait to see if the 890 tops the Sherwood receiver test list.

www.sherweng.com/table.html

9. NU9S

NU9S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking at replacing my original TS-590S which I love but I have had Icom and Yaesu radios over the years that I also loved. With all 3 having new rigs out I am not sure which way to go except to wait until the Yaesu and Kenwood radios are released and see how they stand up to each other before deciding. The IC-7610 is a great rig I am just worried about the display problems they have had so I am waiting to see how that is resolved if at all. Two of them are SDR radios and have that advantage over the Kenwood but as they have proven with the 590 their radios are excellent. I have had a 590 and 570 and both have been beautiful rigs to own and operate. It will be interesting to see how long Yaesu waits to release the FT-DX101MP hopefully not that long. Then you also have issues with new releases having problems so do you wait until those are worked out or dive in? Sorry about the ramble but with the cost of all 3 being over $3000 you want to make the best decision.

10. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well you can get three IC7300's for the cost of ONE of those and really what the makes the difference except an extra ant jack and meaningless other items. Knock yourselves out is my thought on spending more cash for the latest greatest never ending radio fantasy game. I have two great radios and didn't spend 3 G’s for both together. Guess one will be able to hear the static "a litte" better