The TS-890S Is Here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that you are very close to what is going on.
    A major flaw of earlier generations amateur radio equipment is that it is far too reliable, and even decades of typical use do not wear it down.
    If it fails, it is also usually possible for the owner to fix the problem.

This is something that the bean-counters at the manufacturers do not approve of in the long run.

Amateur radio gear that would become obsolete in, say, 2 or 5 years, and which also needed expensive upgrades during this period to stay operational, and finally stopped working completely would be high on the wish-lists of modern manufacturers.

"Boatanchors" or similar gear where you when they stop working or show degraded performance just pulled out the old 807 and replaced it with a new are a deadly threat to the world-view of consumerism...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you are just being overly nostalgic about the radios you have and then mixed in cars for no good reason.

You have not given any examples of gimmicks or unnecessary specifications or planned obsolescence in ham radios. Amateur manufacturers have always offered a range of radios for different price points and features.

[ADDING: Even if Kenwood or Icom had built the "perfect radio" ten years ago, they would have to develop a replacement, due to changing availability of components. Further, with the advent of SDR in ham radio, the addition of more bands and more features becomes minimal cost. Your claim of "Too many features" echoes the complaint that Mozarts' composition had "Too many notes"! ;) ]

Play the luddite. You dislike SDR radios, just to dislike them. Put your finger in the crumbling dike of technology, because SDR's are the future of radio.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    KA4DPO likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm talking about these, ordinary people like me drive these all over the US. You can't use all of that power because it is impossible to unwind a Hellcat on narrow little cobblestone lanes. If you lived here, you could find some really juicy paved back roads with little or no traffic where you could actually open this baby up. Manual gearboxes went out with high button shoes, none of the high performance cars have those anymore.:)

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...e?src=nl&mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&date=081018

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Still a really fine, feature loaded radio even at the initial price they were still a good deal all things considered. I am still waiting for the TS-890 to hit the market but if it is not what I want then I will most likely opt for the 7610. I am disappointed that the new Yaesu FTdx-101D is not direct digital sampling but it's abilities remain to be seen as Yaesu has not said a word about it since Dayton.

NL7W likes this.