The TS-890S Is Here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm certainly glad I have the ability to keep my old rigs going, as I have less and less desire to own any new rigs, the way they are heading !

Plus the real-world performance really seems no better than the Flagship models from years ago.

And to be honest, the same is true of cars . . . no better performance, but they are being built more and more cheaply, and made more and more impossible to work on yourself . . . that's why I'm sticking with my two older cars too!

Roger G3YRO

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger, I am a dyed in the wool car guy from way back. I started building and racing in the late 60's and still have some pretty fast iron. As for performance not being better, I disagree. We have now reached a point in automotive technology where six and seven hundred horsepower are easy to obtain. Computerized engine and transmission controls constantly optimize every aspect of performance. Add to that the advancements in modern suspension systems, and all of that power goes to the pavement seamlessly, and cars can corner and stop light years better than in the 1960's, or even the 1990's.

I don't know how things are in England, the latest offerings from Jaguar and Aston Martin are really high performance luxury cars that can outperform almost any stock automobile and do it in comfort. They are, unfortunately very expensive. Here in the US the Corvette and the Mustang offer unrivaled performance at very affordable prices compared to European sports cars. The Corvette ZR-1 can run with the big dogs, like Ferrari, right off of the showroom floor and costs less than half, while a stock Mustang 350 GT-R can hold it's own against Porsche and BMW on any road course.

No better performance? I have never seen performance this good, or even close to it in years past, and it will only get better. Impossible to work on yourself? I tinker with my new (year old) Mustang GT all of the time. There are a bunch of companies that sell suspension and engine components for them, including Fords racing division. Don't get me wrong, I like old cars too but to say the performance of new cars is not better is simply unrealistic.

WA8FOZ and KS2G like this.
  3. G3YRO

No, that's rubbish . . . you can get over 1000 hp out of several 1980s cars, just by upping the turbo boost. And any real performance car driver prefers a Manual gearbox, so wouldn't want a computer-controlled automaic transmission !

And saying you can buy a car with over 300 hp for road use is ridiculous (as absurb as some of the silly spec on some modern rigs) . . . what's the point? My 27-year old sports car has around 250hp, yet I never get the chance to use that power !

However, I'm mainly talking about more ordinary everyday cars, the cars that 99% of the populations drive. . . .

European family cars from the late 90s are just as good as the current models . . . they have similar engine power for a given engine size . . . they handle just as well, etc etc.

But they DON'T have all the silly automatic stuff that I hate ! (and is much more to go wrong).

And most of all, you can still work on them without any special tools or computer systems to reset the ECUs.

EDIT:
    Actually the current Mustang is virtually the ONLY current car I would consider buying . . . it's actually very old-school in it's design . . . no fancy electronics, but proper dashboard gauges. Proper Manual gearbox and Clutch . . . and a big non-turbo engine. (and unlike most American cars, it actually goes round corners pretty well!)

Roger G3YRO

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Audi, and almost all of the high end speedsters have automatics in them. All formula one cars have automatics in them because automatics can shift faster than you can, they never miss a shift, and they can perfectly rev match on downshifts.

Sure you can get a grand out of those old buckets by upping the boost and bypassing the waste gate but they won't last more than 6 runs down the drag strip. I'm talking about daily driver reliability running 500 to 750 HP.

My Cobra has a normally aspirated small block V8 engine (408 ci) and is making 620 HP at the Crank and 501 at the rear wheels or, about 23 percent drive train loss, which is not too bad. Torque is 520 foot pounds at the rear so it will light up a set of 205/55-17's like it's sitting on ice. But because the carb was always requiring tuning I ditched it for an MSD high pressure fuel injection system. It runs better in hot and cold weather and even makes a little more power. Gotta love computer engine management systems.

As for your edit:

My Mustang is only 5.0 liters or 302 ci. That's small'ish to most of us. Mine, and all of them since the Fox body cars in the 80's are packed with electronics. Mine has an automatic, I don't want a stick anymore, and it is dam fast. It has the tech package including adaptive cruise control, which is very cool by the way, and a host of other high tech features. I went to CJ Pony and American Muscle for the sub frame connectors, lowering springs, heavier anti sway bars, K member support brace, Ford racing wheels, Ford racing/Borla exhaust system, and the Ford Racing Division stage three kit for the 5 liter Coyote motor. It's fast and civilized, and loaded with tech, perfect for an OF like me.:)

WA8FOZ likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

green hellcat.jpg

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have any desire to drive that fast, but I DO prefer a manual transmission. I have two of them, three if you count the motorcycle, and had to get the last one, car not the bike, from a dealer in Florida, and that was December of 2010. (As in, I insisted on THIS model with THIS trim, with the manual, and the local dealer found one at a dealer there and got it for me.)

It's not, for me, about the performance but about being more fun to drive (well if I worked days in this insane Atlanta traffic I might actually get an "awfulmatic" as I call them, just for commuting, as it's awfully annoying with a stick, but I don't work days and rarely have to drive in the crazy rush hour stuff.)

I simply like driving a stick and find it more fun.

It's also a virtual anti-theft device in the US these days. I've even had a valet sit in the car then jump right back out. His colleague offered to park it but the lot was on a hill anyway and I just said, "never mind, just tell me where you want it, I'll still tip you" because I'd rather do it than have them burn my clutch out.

Similarly with radio - I may tinker with some computer control and be sure, but somehow I don't think running a radio from a PC is going to actually seem like "doing radio" to me, or be much fun, regardless of the actual comparative performance.

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The TS-890S Is Here!

Well WOOPTIE-DOO!

K1OIK likes this.
  8. G3YRO

But you totally missed the point !

I'm not talking about absurdly high-powered supercars . . . I'm talking about ordinary cars that 99.9% of people own and drive.

These new cars are really no better than those from 20 years ago . . . they are no faster and don't handle any better . . . yet they have stupid gadgets, no proper gauges, and are increasingly difficult for owners to service and repair themselves.

(oh and I know most Americans have bought Automatics for decades . . . but about 80% of British cars on the road have proper Manual Gearboxes and a Clutch)

But my whole point for bringing this up on this thread, is that I feel the Ham Radio Equipment industry is going the same way as the Car Industry . . . they are trying to get people to buy new models with silly gimmicks and unecessary specifications . . . when in reality they are made more and more cheaply, such that parts wear out or break much sooner ! (and can only be repaired by Main dealers)

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    KC9YGN likes this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My brother was killed in that car--old style 70's "1971 340 cid"--so speed and power have never impressed me since.

Today's 4 cylinders are plenty and even more than enough.

VK6APZ likes this.
  10. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The radio is beautiful in the eyes of ham radio operators. My hard lesson on the Icom 7610, the price has almost dropped $1000. When the Icom 9700 comes out, I will wait 8 to 10 months. I knew the price would drop, maybe $400 to $500 over a year or two, but not $800.00.

AC9SF and KA4DPO like this.