The TS-890S Is Here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The TS-890S has been approved by the FCC so now it is just a matter of time before deliveries begin.:)

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you put your order in? I recall you saying you wanted one.

If so happy new radio and best of luck with it!

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. AC9SF

AC9SF Subscriber QRZ Page

I will order one and put it right next to the 7610. May replace the 590SG, which I like a lot.

If it wasn’t for Edison, we’d all be sitting around watching TV by candlelight.

KD8ZMN, AB8MA and KA4DPO like this.
  4. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, help me out here.

In the Baofeng thread, I get the impression that the FCC does not have to approve radios used in amateur radio.

In this thread, I get the impression that the FCC requires approval of radios used in amateur radio.

What am I missing?

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KK4CUL

KK4CUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would guess the biggest thing is confidence for people looking to purchase them. A $35-$45 disposable HT isn't going to make people feel unsure about investing hard earned money into them. But if you drop a few grand on a high-end HF transceiver, you're likely to research the hell out of it. You're going to consider the manufacturer's reputation and similar radios. The Baofengs fly off the e-shelf because they are cheap and do ham, business band, FRS/GMRS/MURS, etc. I don't think that Kenwood would want the PR or returns involved from an FCC warning or recall. Just a guess, but I would wager that's a big part of it.

7. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Price range?

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to ask? You can't afford it. :D

9. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that I can. It's just a matter if I would want to.;)

K1TGX, NL7W, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to a kenwood tech today and he said, the dealers will reveal the price and release date probably later this month or early September. I did watch a video with the UK Kenwood Sales Manger saying the 890's, Kenwood will start building them on August 1st which was a week ago. Shipment will start in September.

Pricing, who knows, most hams and one dealer are guessing around $4000. I'm buying one and i'm glad I waited for Kenwood to make a move to design such a great receiver as this radio will have.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    KB4QAA likes this.