The Top 2 Issues EVERY IC-7610 owner needs to check for.

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3BL, Jun 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK3BL

VK3BL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Everyone,

I've put together a video showing the top 2 issues every IC-7610 owner needs to check for before their warranty expires; it is a must view as these issues are quite widespread.

You can find it here (Open it in youtube by clicking the icon in the bottom right for the best quality, description & comments):

I hope it helps,

73, Jarrad VK3BL

2. VK3BL

Just an update since we posted the video. We now know of 4 confirmed cases of LCD 'burn in' (image persistence) in VK, but have yet to hear any reports of it occurring elsewhere. This could be due to the fact VK got the IC-7610 before the rest of the world (excluding Japan), but only time will tell.

3. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What serial number ranges are these affected radios in?

W1KJL, Kevin

4. VK3BL

I'll have to get back to you on that one, but despite monitoring all the various Ham radio IC-7610 communities aside from Yahoo Groups, I have not heard of a single LCD issue outside of VK.

And that is truly a relief!

5. VK3BL

W6RZ just posted this on eHam, sadly we can confirm US 7610s are affected:

1) K3HTK, 2/1/2018, No S/N, Top left side washed out

2) N8DC, 2/1/2018, 12001026, Lower left side washed out

3) K6DHL 2/3/2018 12001103 See Spec Scope burn in

4) WB5JJJ, 5/13/2018, 12001105, 1/4 of the screen is fading

5) W5JMW, 5/11/2018, No S/N, Burn in of previous screen

6) N8DC, 5/29/2018, 12002146, Display issue again and this time the right side of the screen is washing out

7) N0JX, 6/1/2018, No S/N, Right side Washed out

8) N8AWW, 6/2/2018, No S/N, Similar problem (washed out)

6. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the follow up Jarrad. My serial number is 120018xx which puts mine within the ranges above. So far, no issues with mine, but I guess time will tell... disappointing for a $3400 USD radio :(

7. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I will bet that Icom will do nothing about it. Yes, if you find that the display has a problem before the 1 year warranty goes out you can get it fixed but what do you do after that or it happens again after having the display replaced? Icom should address this issue but they won't.

8. VK3BL

I suggest leaving your radio powered on 24/7 with the screensaver enabled at the lowest setting. That way, if issues are going to show up, they will before your warranty period expires.

As you can see from N8DC's example, he had his second screen go bad within 4 months.

Luckily, LCD screens are not a big ticket item, so hopefully even those who have issues out of warranty will be able to obtain a replacement cheaply. Fitting one yourself should be no issue.

73, Jarrad VK3BL

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless they are a custom part and go obsolete.

10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey K