ad: MyersEng-1

The Ten Commandments of QSLing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Feb 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

The current interest in the art of the QSL and good QSL practice has prompted me to get the recomendations of a 40 year QSL Manager and DXCC Chaser veteran. The following article show the results...

<H2>The Ten Commandments of QSLing</H2>

Over the years, as a QSL Manager for several DX stations, I have noted some Do’s and Don’ts about the Art of QSLing that I wish to share. I’ll take this time to share some of these observations, or Commandments, with you at this time.</P>

1. <LI>Always include a S.A.E. (self-addressed envelope with your return address) plus some method to pay for the return postage, i.e. stamps, IRC’s (International Reply Coupons), or &quot;Green Stamps&quot;. Some countries dislike and deplore their Amateurs receiving U.S. dollars and some countries will not honor IRC’s. I would suggest using a lightweight S.A.E., perhaps a #6-3/4 &quot;Grip-Seal&quot; or &quot;Press it-Seal it&quot; or &quot;Peel &amp; Seel&quot; commercial self-sealing envelope. REMEMBER: Airmail postage is very expensive in some FOREIGN countries and postage is charged in grams!

</LI>
      <LI>Never fold or crumple your S.A.E. Hint: Use a combination of #6, #7, #8 or #9 envelopes into a larger size #10 envelope. Fitting the smaller into the larger #10 envelope.

</LI>
      <LI>Always use Coordinated Universal Timer (UTC), GMT or ZULU time. These terms are all the same. UTC is a time that all Amateurs should use and be familiar with. An Amateur in Zambia probably does not know or understand OKEFENOKEE STANDARD TIME, nor cares.

</LI>
      <LI>Never send an altered QSL card, or one that is hard to read. Take pride in your QSL card as it reflects upon you. If your call sign is printed in German Bold, Fancy Script or Ye Old English Gothic, then make sure your call sign is also printed in plain, readable block print. QSL early, not later than 90-days after your QSO, practice consideration!

</LI>
      <LI>Never use metered postage. It has the appearance you are a thief and ripping off your employer’s postal machine. It is also against U.S. Postal Service Rules and Regulations to use it on return S.A.E.s. Attempt to use COMMERORATIVE STAMPS on your envelope as the recipient just may be a stamp collector as well as a ham. Don’t project the appearance of your being a CHEAP SKATE! Performance counts.

</LI>
      <LI>Always use the correct amount of postage. Check with your local postal service. Can you imagine a QSL Manager, or worse yet, a foreign DX station or QSL Manager having to pay POSTAGE DUE! On the flip side, don’t over-postage your incoming envelope or your S.A.E.

</LI>
      <LI>Always use the correct QSLing route; i.e. Callbook address &amp; instructions,www.qrz.com</FONT> or other QSLing listings to which you have access. It is important for you to listen for the DX station’s QSL instructions and follow them.

</LI>
      <LI>Always put your call sign on the same side of your QSL that has the QSO data. It greatly speeds up the QSL writing process for that DX station or the QSL Manager.

</LI>
      <LI>Never use glue backed labels containing your return address. Should it drop off in transit you are out of luck. In the humid tropics, these labels have a habit of falling off, unless you use scotch tape over the glue backed label on your SASE, i.e. Don’t lose it!

</LI>
      <LI>Last but not least
      , attempt to include a photo and a short note of positive interest to the DX station, QSL Manager, etc. to at least tell them why their QSL is so important to you, and to thank them for the fine help that they have given to you. A friendly, sincere &quot;Thank You&quot; can go a long way. Never ask for personal information from the DX station or the QSL Manager. First, it is nobody’s business, nor does the QSL Manager have the time to sit down and strike up correspondence with you. It slows down the QSLing process. After all, you don’t want to hold up and jeopardize the entire QSL process.

</LI>

If you are not getting the QSL results you desire, then you may be making one or more of the above ten oversights. Every little bit helps. Remember that your attention to details and thoughtfulness, for the other person, is &quot;The name of the QSL game&quot;. Your considerations will buy you the desired results you wish.</P>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.