ad: vanity

The Spy, Eli Cohen

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by KD2RDG, Jul 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just watched The Spy, a Netflix series about Eli Cohen, an Israeli spy, that takes place in the 1960s. Throughout the series he uses a small transceiver and a straight key to communicate from Syria. There is also a scene where he's near the border and uses an HT.

I'm curious if anyone here knows more about the radios. What frequencies was he using? What gear? Antennas? Would encryption have been used? What was that straight key? What gear and tactics were the Syrians using to catch him?

KK4NSF and KY4GD like this.
  2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

now you've got ME hooked!

KD2RDG likes this.
  3. KD2RDG

It's good!

4. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

wait- no dvd? i looked on ebay. i don't have a television setup.

5. KD2RDG

Netflix series.

6. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great show, and yeah, Netflix rarely gives us what might have once been called "DVD Extras" that expound on the show. We need one of those little addendum pieces to explain some more mechanical details.

7. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume that the only ones knowing the answers to the questions are the Israeli and Syrian governments and good luck figuring that out.

K0UO likes this.
  8. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Was the book “The Champagne Spy” based on him?

Fact checking my own post: The Champagne Spy was Wolfgang Lotz who spied on Egypt. But there are amazing parallels between the two.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    KC7JNJ and KD2RDG like this.
  9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have watched the movie about him, and read some books that talked about him. I would like to know how much of the radio talked about was for the movie. Or what had a basis in reality . Wonder what the antenna was if that was a coper tape. Really the radio could be anything, beside having access to the worlds available clandestine radios of the time. Israel sounds like they have a whole force of Qs to build anything.

KD2RDG likes this.
  10. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Champagne Spy was interesting reading. It covered in some detail how the Israeli spy networks functioned at the time.

KD2RDG and US7IGN like this.