ad: elecraft

The Spotless Sun, Like 2008-2009

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8NSI, Dec 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

In about 45 minutes of casual operation yesterday I had 5 QSOs with European stations, so I don't think the propagation is all THAT bad. And any weekend when there's a major contest, propagation magically seems to improve.

PY2RAF likes this.
  4. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the problem is that the sun is embarrassed by its acne and has been overdoing it with the acne meds. :D

5. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s not so much that propagation is bad right now, it’s that during a solar maximum you can make long path QSOs with your radio connected to a rain gutter.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Obtain Copper.
    Build antennae for 160.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the ticket.:)

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

3" tube, in a rectangular shape ought to do it. Scaled to the lowest frequency desired. Saw one on a magazine cover (cq?) about a decade back.

9. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to get on 160. Not enough room for a full sized antenna, but MFJ sells a 100-foot G5RV that they claim will cover 160 through 10. On 160 it apparently functions as a Marconi. I wonder how well that would work.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I made 500 contacts in the 160M contest with a shortened Inverted L that is just 36' high. I bent it into an upside down U so it would fit on my properly.

The big compromise is that I can't run high power in a full time contest effort. Sort of like running a car flat out at Le Mans. Something will fail and the car won't finish. Wet weather and really high voltages don't mix well.
    No matter, I'm not likely to win with all the great stations in Connecticut. But, I can run medium power and make a lot of contacts!

Zak W1VT

N0NB likes this.