The Spectrum Monitor

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

If you just *have to* share a copyrighted PDF because someone can't cough up $3 and get their own, do this:
    Print it out and hand your buddy the paper copy. That way he can't email it to 105,523 people 10 seconds later.

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

that would be making a copy LMAO

N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Lotta uptight hams on this thread.
    Happy to have waken them from their slumber....

Anyway, Happy to be able to send you a copy Bob and Thanks for the reply email...

VK4HAT and W4NNF like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Guess you'd better do yer civic duty and call the police....
    Don't much care, that rag isn't much worth the price I paid for a years worth...

W4NNF likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

:eek:

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And then delete the copy on your computer, and never download another.

Cheapskates complain about 73, CQ, Ham Radio, Ham Radio Horizons, PopComm, PopElectronics.and Communications Quarterly not being around but then rip off on of the last surviving magazines for half the price of a hamburger.

K4EI, KV6O and K4AGO like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen,

I am not publishing anything and probably never will. I would, however, enjoy reading the articles that you have written. There is always a lot of wisdom in the things you post in these forums. I feel certain that the articles, blogs, etc. would be very educational and enlightening.

Is it possible that you would please either email me or post a link in these forums to your website? If not, no explanation is needed. I completely understand. And, If for some reason, my request is against any QRZ policy, just disregard my request.

Thank you,
    John
    K4AGO

Thank you.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AGO:

My website is no secret!

https://k9sth.net

At the very top of the home page there are titles. Click on the "Amateur Radio K9STH" and that will take you to where the articles, etc., are. The Z-Communications Company will take you to where the various assemblies, etc., that I make for "boat anchor" radios. The "Civil War Newsletters" takes you to the area where all of the "modern" newsletters that I publish for the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Finally, the "Glen E. Zook Family", right now, is just a montage' of old family photographs.

All of the files are in PDF format. Although I have been using computers since 1966 (senior year at Georgia Tech), I am just not that proficient using HTML. As such, my website is one of those "website for dummies" format types and I can definitely make PDF files using Microsoft Word. Virtually everyone has Adobe Acrobat (free version) on their computers so the files are easily read. For every complaint that I get about using the PDF format I get dozens of comments in favor of that format.

There are a couple of articles that have a do not reproduce notation. However, if I am asked to reprint, etc., those articles and the publication meets my standards, I will give permission to reprint, etc.

Since the files are PDF, most computers automatically download them. Basically, I have no objections to passing them on except if published somewhere where there is a charge for the publication. In those situations, I will give my permission only if I am compensated for their inclusion. I do insist that I remain listed as the author, the copyright notation remains, no editing of the article is done, the article has to be reproduced in its entirety, and so forth. The requirements are listed on the website.

Certain articles, especially the one on the 6146 family of tubes, have been widely distributed. That article was published in 73 Magazine, Electric Radio Magazine, The Collins Collectors' Association newsletter, several European national amateur radio society newsletters, and a whole lot of club newsletters in the United States, Canada, and elsewhere in the world.

Glen, K9STH

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyway after 7 pages, the moral of the story is this. The Spectrum Monitor looks like a very well written, well produced Ezine. It is well worth the $3 per edition or $24 per year for a subscription. And if you find the content to be appealing and stimulating, do yourself a favour and go sign up now for 12 months.

It was not for me though, i am looking for something that does not exist, a lot of home brew content. If anyone knows anything other than Sprat that has a lot of home brew content hit me up. General interest and lowest common denominator content just does not rock my boat.

As for those going on and on that someone giving me a copy of one edition to make an informed decision is a crime on par with the complete works of Bernie Madoff, I think The Spectrum Monitor got much more than $3 worth of promotion out of this. I posted about this magazine all over social media. A lot of people now know about it that never did before. I hope that turns into sales for them.

Don't cause harm to others -- John Stuart Mill.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    WZ7U and KV6O like this.