The Spectrum Monitor

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Glen:

I am handy with building/rehabilitating electronics. Big saws and pieces of wood? Not so much. :eek:

"I sold my neighbor a picnic table. But I decided that despite him having bought it, he really shouldn't really own it. I was just lending it to him, sort of. When I saw him letting other people sit at MY table, I called in the SWAT Team." ;)

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. W8BYH

W8BYH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Back when I was in the Army Monitoring Times was a common site in Communications and Intel units (along with Janes Defense Weekly and Aviation and Space Weekly ('Leakly' as the intel guys used to say). Everyone read MT and it was a well respected magazine. When I got back into ham radio a few years back I went looking for the old magazine on the news stands but was disappointed to find it was out of publication. When I found Spectrum Monitor in digital format and read that many of the writers are the old crew from MT, and that they even kept the same format, I jumped in right away and bought an annual subscription. I have not been disappointed. The quality of the writing is excellent, the coverage of topics is first rate and the volume of content is also very high - you are not paying $30/year for a few poorly written pages of yesterday's news. You get a lot of good content and good coverage.

Highly recommended.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NNF:

Nope, you transferred ownership!

If you have a "hard copy" of a book, magazine, etc., you can dispose of that copy however you want to. What was your property is the paper upon which the material was printed and NOT the intellectual material itself. The intellectual property is still owned by the copyright holder!

It is, basically, the same thing with computer files, etc. You can own the disc that contains the files but you do NOT have any ownership of the material that is on the disc if you do not hold the copyright. Now, anything that you create is, under the Copyright Law of the United States of America, automatically copyrighted in your favor. If you transfer ownership of the disc, you usually no longer have the right to retain the use of the intellectual property.

Many, probably the majority, of the people have no real knowledge of how copyrights work and the fact that, unless they hold the copyright or the material is in the public domain, that they, basically, only have use of the intellectual material and absolutely no ownership of the material. Therefore, with certain specific exceptions, the person has no right to make copies or otherwise distribute the material.

Glen, K9STH

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CTRL X and you are not making a copy, you are moving the original. But by your logic I am the greatest criminal since Capone himself. I have years worth of backups. Just think of all those copies I have made of files I dont own. And every time i go to a website my browser caches masses of it, Better send in the mounties, i am committing high crime each and everyday.

Again, it is all in the EULA. Being a digital file, does not mean you do not own it.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

EULA's are licensing agreements, generally for the use of software, not addressing copyrights of a publication. The publication in question here already has made it clear - in writing - that "Copying or distribution of any part of this publication in any manner, electronic or paper, is prohibited without the express written permission of the publisher. " It's pretty clear.

Most law recognizes the difference between a copy licensed software (have you read a EULA recently?) and other protected IP for the purposes of BACKUP. Multiple copies of my Win10 OS, for example for the purposes of backup are allowed. Multiple copies so I can run multiple instances, or give COPIES to my friends to run is not.

Is this really that hard to understand? Making a copy of a digital magazine to DISTRIBUTE to others and avoid paying for a subscription is wrong, immoral, and illegal.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, then. I'll just print the .pdf out and give that to my bud. OK? :D

I likely know as much as you do about copyright, Glen, but I am also able to separate the sublime from the ridiculous. ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    VK4HAT likes this.
  7. VK4HAT

You do know that just about every book and magazine in existence has that exact same line of text in it. And yet, its ok to pass on a copy of it to your mate. And that text means squat when it comes to fair use. I could copy verbatim an article out of that magazine for critique and their aint nothing they could do about that is there. And no EULA are not the soul domain of software, but they are often used in software. See software (code) is covered by copyright also and what the EULA does is set out the limitations of use. So, you own one copy of a PDF unless there are other restrictions put in place to make via an EULA, much the same way streaming services do now with music and movies. You are not buying the music or the movie, you are buying the right to watch or listen. And with the PDF you might be buying ownership, not just the right to read. The devil is in the detail and all the semantics about the word copy mean nothing. It all comes down to, did you buy a product or a service.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. For a reason.

THE copy. Not A copy.

There is no "devil in the details" if you are ripping off an author/publisher by REPRODUCING the work, in it's entirety (not "Fair Use"), and passing it along to others so they may avoid paying. Same with a MP3 song, a ripped DVD, etc.

I sure hope none of those who think it's "no big deal" complain when the next ham publications goes under.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Burt is a self proclaimed rich guy. Maybe he can see his way clear to provide a few dozen subscriptions for a bunch of lucky zedizens. Probably the best investment possible this afternoon.

10. VK4HAT

CTRL X is not a copy is it. Its the original work. As i said, the semantics that you cannot give away the original of a digital file because you have to make a copy is bogus. So yes, it comes down to did I buy a copy or did i buy a service.

I am pretty sure i cannot legally sell my ebook reader full of books because the ELUA with KOBO means that I have not bought the item, i have bought a service. I would have to go look though. But, if I bought a copy and own it. I can give away or sell that original copy if i so choose. The format is irrelevant.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019