The Spectrum Monitor

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Well ... I know that making a copy and passing it on is not crime of the century and easy to make fun of but I believe it's something to keep in mind when a small group of people are producing a quality publication at a very reasonable price and "return" policy.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! You must actually think they will go under, even though they are charging big $$$ for advertising space
    JUST LIKE ANY OTHER PUBLICATION.
    Get over it, and yer selfrighteous attitude friend! This is the digital age, no paper magazines to share. so we share digitals!
    Nothing has changed but the format.... Again, I PAID for ALL of my subscription... Again, will do as I darn well please with them.
    I have 3 friends I usually share my copies with...
    Guess what, the advertisers like to have my pals see their ads in this publication and I bet They Don't Mind on lil bit...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

There's probably a place for us in Heck for our transgressions! :oops:

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, OM, I'm sure I've been darned to Heck and will soon be at the mercy of the Prince of Insufficient Light. ;)

K4AGO and N8AFT like this.
  5. W4NNF

Actually, sharing their magazine may be doing them a service. Who knows? One of my buddies might decide he wants his own subscription. And I am pretty sure advertisers are OK with it. ;)

K4AGO and N8AFT like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! How hard is it to understand "Copyright"? If you make a copy (without permission), you are violating the law! Period! You're NOT doing them a favor, you are commiting a CRIME.

Are people really justifying this by thinking they are doing them a service? Wow.

If you give away a physical magazine, book, movie, CD, tape, album, etc., there is no COPY. if you MAKE A COPY, that's theft.

Sheesh!

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It all has to do with the Copyright Law of the United States of America which generally complies with the international Berne Convention.

It is perfectly legal to pass on "hard copies" of copyrighted material. However, with certain very specific exceptions, it is a definite violation of the law to make copies of entire publications and an even greater violation to distribute copies even if given away. It is legal to make copies of excerpts of the copyrighted for any number of reasons.

When one distributes electronic files that person is definitely violating the Copyright Law unless the material is in the Public Domain. You do NOT "own" the copyrighted material! Basically, you are actually renting the material that comprises the electronic file(s). Depending on the provisions set forth when you legally acquired the file(s), it is often possible for you to sell, give away, etc., the original media. However, legally, you have to remove all copies of the file(s) from all of your devices.

College textbooks are usually fairly expensive. The University of Texas at Dallas (actually in Richardson and mostly in Collin County) campus is less than a mile straight west of my house and there are quite a few "foreign" students primarily from a certain Asian country attending the university. To avoid paying the high price for a textbook, a group (from around 10 to over 50 students) would purchase a single copy of a textbook and then take it to a local "copy shop" with a price of so many cents per copy when the copies were made by the "end user". The book would be copied and then returned to the college book store for a full refund. The copies were then distributed to the various students.

Each student then had a copy which cost like 15% to 20% of the price of the actual book.

It was not that long before the "word" got around and even more students were doing the same thing. The college bookstore was losing tens of thousands of dollars every semester and, finally, got the FBI involved because of serious violations of the Copyright Law. I personally knew the manager of the copy-shop and he told me that, one day, a couple of FBI agents came to the shop. The agents told the manager that he would be held legally responsible if the textbook copying continued. He would not be held responsible for the copies that had been made in the past. Therefore, the copy-shop adopted a very strict rule that greatly restricted what could be copied. Of course, the UTD students were VERY unhappy that they could no longer make copies of the textbooks.

One day, I was copying a magazine article that I had written and, as such, held the copyright, when one of the copy-shop employees stopped me. I did show him that I was the author and held the copyright for the article. The manager had been in the storeroom and came out. The manager did verify that I held the copyright and could legally make copies.

Since I personally hold over 1000 copyrights (magazine and newsletter articles / columns, newspaper columns, etc.), I am very keen in making sure the Copyright Law is enforced. There are a number of articles on my website and I do allow those articles to be reproduced in publications such as club newsletters, etc., so long as there is no charge (other than organization dues, etc.) for the publication. I also generally allow those articles to be distributed among individual amateur radio operators.

Occasionally, I get a request from someone who is compiling a book, publishing a magazine, etc., who wants to include one, or more, of my articles and there is going to be a charge for the publication. In such a situation, I definitely want to be paid for the privilege of including the material. However, in every one of those situations, at least up to this time, the person doesn't want to pay anything for the material. He / she seemed to think that they are entitled to use the material, for their benefit, without having to pay for the material!

Anyway, there are quite a number of specific exceptions to the Copyright Law which do allow certain segments of the material to be copied, distributed, and so forth. I do encourage getting familiar with the law and making sure that each individual complies with the restrictions.

Glen, K9STH

K4AGO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

I know. I'm darned to heck. :rolleyes:

I was done with it. It's off my hard drive. Now it's on my buddy's hard drive. Next step on my evil plan of conquest? Bwahahaha!

[​IMG]

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you buy a digital file, you can give it away also, once, depending on the EULA. If it is purely just copyright being claimed then its easy, you can give away your digital file just like it was a physical book. Not that any of this mattered. No one committed a crime here, I downloaded the free back issue to see what it was like. Its seems like a whole lot of hellabaloo and bed wetting over nothing to me. The mag has gained more publicity from this thread than harm it may have suffered because of someone giving away their copy of the magazine. I mean sure, put this in front of Judge Judy if that is how you roll. but i am sure she would troll the crap out of everyone involved.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    W4NNF and WZ7U like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. By the usual dirty diapers. ;)

VK4HAT and W4NNF like this.