The solar cycle trough: Are we there yet? (and why it doesn't really matter)

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by VK3YE, Aug 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week I worked EC7AT on 12 meters. A year ago I worked two rare Pacific stations, T31T and ZL7G on 12 meters. All from Connecticut.

Zack W1VT

K3XR likes this.
  2. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 6 contacts on 15m in the last month (Italy 3 times with 2 of them QRP, 1 Belarus, 1 Costa Rica using QRP, and 1 US). I haven't made any on 10m or 12m in the last month, and have only heard conversations on those bands once or twice. It's tough conditions but I try anyway even if the online tools are showing poor propagation and no spots.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I hear beacons on 10M I try calling CQ for a while on 28050 to catch some SKCC members.
    Back in the late 60S I could get on 10M in the morning and work several Europeans with the old EFJ Viking Valliant on AM and in the evenings after work, I could work some out on the west coast and pacific islands.. that was too easy compared to what we have now.
    By the time I got my TS520 and Yagi, the ten meter band was getting pretty dead.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is still a fair amount of activity on 10 AM when the band is open including DX check around 29.000 and above i.e. 29.010, .020, .030 etc. look forward to the band being that good again.

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The band was good a couple of days so far this month. I made 8 contacts on 10m and one on 12m.

6. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

10m and 12m antennas are down here, but in the last month I've nevertheless heard dx on those bands on north-south paths using a 20m beam, and that's far, far from ideal. During periods of low solar flux, NA stations seeking dx from the southern hemisphere frequently make log entries, especially if the geomagnetic field is inactive.

From October 1 to Oct 6, 100 watts on cw netted 11 QSOs with ten dxcc countries on 20 or 15m in 6 continents. Looking at the number of days without sunspots in 2017 versus 2009 (on spaceweather.com) leads me to think we won't bottom out this year. Persistence, band selection, and time of day are keys. VOACAP and beacons are a big help too.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently worked TI2CC for number 98 on 12M Digital. I also need four more for 10M Digital DXCC. It will be interesting to see whether or not I can get those last six before the we reach the bottom of the cycle for 8 band digital DXCC. I worked PJ4 this morning on 12 but I already had that one. A surprise yesterday evening was a strong VO1 on 10 meters.

Zack W1VT