ad: UR5CDX-1

" The Signal That Faded Away "

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KF4HAY, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF4HAY

KF4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

" The Signal That Faded Away "

John Safina, KF4JFV, was more than a cheerful friend and
    an amateur radio operator. He was a living testimony to
    the amateur radio service and hobby, and the art of cw as well.

He was a young man of 43 years and a quadrapalegic, due to a motorcycle accident 12 years ago. John was bedridden and the only movement he had was limited to
    his right shoulder. He lived at home with his mother in Louisville, KY.His mother cared for him and would put his radio within reach when he was ready to get on the air.

We became hams about the same time, back around 1997. I had gotten to know John on CB before he was a ham. We were in the same ssb group and I always liked talking to John. Then John got his tech no-code license and I thought that was great. Wasn't no time until John passed the 5 wpm code test and I thought that was great too.

But, John wasn't only cheerfull and a ragchewer, he was smart too. He went on to pass the General,Advanced, and Extra class exams. John didn't claim the medical exemption for the code, he passed the 13 and 20 wpm cw test as well. I couldn't believe it, I was learning the code too, with a lot of effort and pounds of writing paper, and here's John copying cw in his head well enough to pass the test.

John learned to send code by laying his hand on the key and jerking his shoulder to send the dits and dahs. Boy, did he love that cw, there he was on the radio everyday making contacts and new friends. He would usually get on 40 meters early in the morning to check into the Rotten Apples, then go to 2 meters till about noon time, then switch to cw.

He would do cw everyday. I live about 35 miles down river from John, so sometimes, we could copy each other well enough on 15 meters to have a qso. And I could hear some of John's qso's where he was copying and sending about 15 wpm and at times it seemed a lot faster than that.

It amazed me how he could do all that in his head, most of the time I still have to write my copy down just to keep track of the qso. John was a FISTS member too, his number was 5821. He couldn't write, so he didn't keep a log or keep track of contacts for awards or anything. His mother was kind enough to fill out any qsl cards he sent out.

Then, one day we started hearing less of John, his heart is giving him trouble and some days he is to weak to get on the radio. Then his kidneys slowly failed, until one day John wasn't there anymore.

John passed away in the night, July 16 2002. Thanks for being a ham John and showing us all what can be achieved. Your friend Neal KF4HAY

2. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't find it right this minute but I have a note written by Johns mother after a short CW QSO I had with him a good while back, Probably about 4 yrs ago. We had motorcycles in common so we had a nice chat. I happened to stumble on the sheet of paper I wrote that qso down on the other day and kind of wondered how he was doing. I am saddened to hear that he has left us. While all the hullabaloo was going on about trying to do away with the code, and people whining about how they "just can't do it" , I held John up as an example of "yes you can"! As I sat there in my little radio corner, warmed by the glow of the tubes in my old Drake, I was completely taken aback when I realized that John was doing CW with his wrist! Thre are many others with a story like mine to tell, but let me just say that John was an inspiration to me and I will always remember that QSO and John. 73 my friend.....mike, kf4glg

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I worked this man on CW. He was a good operator, and had a very interesting story to tell. Sri to here he is a silent key. He should be an example to all of us.

John ku4bt, fists #6215

4. N4VNV

N4VNV Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew John over four years. We both loved motorcycles and that was our connection. I was able to tour eight Countries on my bike and John loved to hear my stories. We used to talk for hours on Saturday mornings. In all the time I knew John, I never heard him complain about his lot in life. No matter how long you've been a ham, there is one thing we can learn from John. To do the best you can with what you've got, and don't complain. I miss you John.

5. KF4IZP

KF4IZP Ham Member QRZ Page

My Radio Friend John KF4JFV (SK)

I had the pleasure of meeting John on 11 meters. We talked everyday while I was out working for AAA in the truck. John was a VERY exciting individual to hear and talk with.We would exchange local police freqs. talk about Radio, Family and just ragchew. We both got the Ham radio bug @ the same time, John got his ticket 1 month before myself.We were both so excited to have our tickets. We would study together on the air, ask each other questions and such. I would go to Johns' house and do small jobs for him and his mom around the yard.
    I lost touch with John after I had been laid off from work and ended up moving to Frankfort ,Ky.Had problems there too finding work and moved to Deerfield Beach, Florida. I had talked with Billy KD5NR (email), he asked If I new that John was SK.
    OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I DID NOT!!! I qrz John and I think another website had his picture saying he was Gone
    I have since been to his house and talked with his Mom a couple of times in 07', she is so SWEET, just like her Son,John. Love both of you.
    John I mISS YOU, You were a GREAT PERSON , GREAT FREIND, GREAT OPERATOR, soooo FRIENDLY, I wish we ALL could be as Fun LOving and Easy going as John!!! Wish we could work each other , John .
    Take Care and You are SOooo Missed, 73's MY GOOD FRIEND untiL
    Bryan Wade KF4IZP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.