ad: wmr-1

The SharkRF OpenSPOT "New review"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N7BRJ

N7BRJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know....and keep in mind I am no expert. There are two basic "boxes" that I am aware of. Both provide a vocoder that digitizes your audio into D-Star digital. One kind of box requires a computer via USB and its microphone and speaker. The other kind of box has a small antenna/transceiver that is programmable on Ham frequencies such that you essentially use your D-Star radio mic and speaker for a local range extension of a couple hundred feet. Both kind of boxes ultimately connect to the INTERNET and can then be routed to local or distant INTERNET connected D-Star repeaters or INTERNET connected servers (reflectors). Other D-Star users may then connect to the same nodes and thus are able to establish D-Star communication. The extent of the INTERNET becomes the only distance limitation between users, which can be in the "same room" or across the globe. The mix between connections to reflectors and/or repeaters can be a bit complex, but it is gradually making sense to me.

2. W1IQ

W1IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought the OpenSpot directly from SharkRF for less than $150 including shipping. Check their website.
    Allan, W1IQ

VA2PV likes this.
  3. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very good deal! 73

4. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on Brandmeister 3100 this afternoon and heard the oldest old timer out there, Oscar Norris W4OXH. Again I’ll say this...W4OXH uses DMR daily. He discussed that if it was not for digital as it is now...he would not have a voice. This really touched me and was proof positive that (at least some) old timers do evolve and welcome advancements.

I became interested in the openspot because of Pascal’s review. Although things started a bit buggy ...It is clear that this node will be getting more use than most of my equipment. It’s not Skype. Suggestions that irlp is not HAM is a bit of nonsense. If it was easy...it would be the way. But we don’t see nodes being sold at Best Buy next to all the fancy new phones do we?

I see the points of many that digital is not REAL radio. But what’s interesting is that That digital QSO still required two operators with at least some troubleshooting skills and a desire to try out some tech. To me...that is pretty old school.

In the end, my simple review addendum is that the openspot is pretty cool...and they are currently pretty cheap for the moment.

VA2PV likes this.
  5. VA2PV

Hi, it's one at a time. 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. VA2PV

Hello William,

What a positive testimony. People have to remember that there’s RF at many locations with Hotspots. First locally, but on all the station and repeaters connected to the reflector. This is wonderful for those who need to move in an apartment as no external antenna is necessary to have worldwide communications.

We instantly think of the older hams, but this is also true for young ham (like students) living as well in apartments, mixing Internet is probably the best way to get them interested in the hobby. As I always say, if we don’t get new hams in the hobby (I’m 48) I will be talking to myself when I retire, and it won’t be a disease, hihi. Another good reason to keep older hams active as long as possible.

The main goal of my YouTube channel is to promote the hobby that I love and when I hear comments like yours it's my paycheck, thank you so much.

For those who didn’t watch my ham radio documentary “The DXer and the Technician”, check this out that’s another proof of the benefit using the Internet in Ham radio. See the link below.

73 Pascal VA2PV

W4EGE likes this.