The SharkRF OpenSPOT "New review"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your comprehensive review. It answered a number of questions. I recently started to look at the available "HotSpots" and have concluded that the SharkRF OpenSPOT is probably the way to go. I'm still gathering information from local Hams... on the various aspects of user preference regarding equipment and connectivity. I'm currently a "Fusion" user and can certainly see the expanded possibilities.

VA2PV likes this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pascal. I must admit to being an old timer with not too much interest in newer modes and equipment BUT having watched your videos here and then seeing you published in QST I immediately read your review there and when it came up here I had to watch it. I am using two K3 xcvrs that I am still improving over time so there may be hope for me yet. It is interesting to see your growth in the hobby. I enjoy your curiosity and excitement as you open and discover each new topic and piece of equipment. Keep up the great and entertaining work! 73, Sid K3SX

VA2PV likes this.
  3. KD2KOG

KD2KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No worries. Swamped with SDRplay at the moment. When I come back from the UK ham fest we will get the skype round table going :)

VA2PV likes this.
  4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone else totally hate watching a video of someone drone on when I could have read the text story in a minute?

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS IS "REALLY NEAT STUFF"!!! I'll admit that in the world of "DIGITAL COMM" I'M A RANK NOVICE, EVEN AFTER 55YR OF AMATEUR RADIO COMM I find this "NEW STUFF" (DMR) really, really COOL!!! And as long as I've been a HAM it's NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN MORE!!!

VA2PV likes this.
  6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your statement OB was rather CRASS in that you seem to think that EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW TO GET AROUND THIS STUFF, I READ & LISTEN SO I CAN "LEARN"!!!

KC9BNW and VA2PV like this.
  7. WQ8M

WQ8M Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Very nice.

VA2PV likes this.
  8. HH2MJF

HH2MJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal VA2PV,
    good job and thanks for taking time to produce these videos in two (2) languages.

VA2PV likes this.
  9. KD9AZB

KD9AZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great article and video.

VA2PV likes this.
  10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I only watch videos if I know there is information that I seek in them.

As for this is really neat stuff, and its never to late to learn more. The MMDVM project by Jonathan Naylor G4KLX is where the basis of the OpenSpot came from. If you truly want to learn, look into that project. You can roll your own. And you can connect it to real radios to build a high power hotspot or repeater that can be useful to more than one person.

The Openspot is neat to me, but it's an appliance.