ad: elecraft

The Shack Photo Suite: Go ahead and show off!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jul 15, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother KK4TVR (taught him all I know about radio---this explains why he sucks! :D ) and K3FEF last weekend. IMG_05882.jpg

N6YW likes this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

My other shack:
    [​IMG]

Can be anywhere, a shack in your pocket...

KC8YLT and N6YW like this.
  3. WB5HAK

WB5HAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just returned a couple of days ago from a trip to NW Kentucky to retrieve a rig built by Bill Decker, N0VMY for the friend I got it from. I have the tubes installed tonight, wired the rig into the shack AC and have the filaments cooking for an hour or two to be sure all is well after an 850 mile road trip!! I plan to wire this into the station tomorrow and will be on the lookout for QSO's on 40M and later 80M. Sure is pretty sitting here "glowing" in the shack, but even more impressive when on the air. I got to test it before removing it from the previous shack.
    73, hope to have many nice AM contacts with this,
    Don, WB5HAK
    P.S. Bill called this his "Byrd Transmitter" as he patterned it after the Collins rig contained at the Collins Museum that Adm. Byrd took to the Antarctic. More modern tubes, of course, 2 813's modulated by 2 810's. Should be fun. If you know more about this rig, I'd like to hear from you.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Decker did 1st class work. BTW his callsign was N4VMY.

I talked with him frequently on 75m and met him one time at a hamfest. Once, he was passing through here and had a part he was dropping off for me. He told me he would stop by Saturday morning, but couldn't estimate the exact time. I waited around past mid-morning, but he hadn't shown up. There was something I needed to pick up at the post office before they closed at noon, and since it's only 0.8 miles away, I decided to make a quick run. I was back in 5 minutes, but you guessed it. When I returned, the part was on the porch, but no sign of Bill. He told me later that he was pressed for time, and when no-one answered the door, he just left the part and went on his way. Classic Murphy's Law: out of the whole morning, he showed up precisely during the 5 minutes I was gone.

I never saw him again. It wasn't more than 6 months after that until I heard about his passing.

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was this by chance one of Jim KJ9T's rigs? Jim had one or two VMY rigs. He went SK last last year and I am concerned about the fate of his Bill Decker rigs.

If the family doesn't know what to do, what can happen is the local ham club will show up, all too often consisting of plastic radio slopbucketeers who don't know a tube from a vacuum cap, and they pronounce with an air of authority, that "all that tube junk in racks can be scrapped. No one wants that junk today." The family not knowing any better takes this as gospel and off to the landfill or smelter it goes.

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a very good looking transmitter!

7. WB5HAK

Don,
    My apologies on the callsign and thanks for the correction. I KNEW it was N4, but just typed that out of no where. You are definitely correct about "first class", this transmitter is a real marvel. I FINALLY have it all wired up, checked and double checked and in a few minutes will warm my dummy load a bit and see just how it performs for me. I hope to get my 160M wire up soon, but for now will be stuck on 80 and 40M with it.
    Thanks for your input, Don, hope to work you on it one day after the shakedown.
    Don, WB5HAK

8. WB5HAK

No, this was actually built and given to the guy I got it from, Jim, WJ4O in Maceo, KY. They were good friends too, and after visiting Jim and his wife, I can see why. I'll report more as I learn this fine rig. The only "problem" is I wish there were some schematics available of what he did. I know he wasn't planning on being SK so soon, but all I got really was hookup and basic operation information. I guess I'll draw out things as I have the time, or just wait till trouble occurs. It is so well built I can't believe it's not a commercial rig.
    Don, WB5HAK

9. WB5HAK

Thanks, it's been fun getting to know it, now it should be even more fun operating it.
    Don, WB5HAK

10. WB5HAK

Well, SHE LIVES!!. Tuned right up, performs as advertised after only a couple of op screwups hooking things up correctly. Look for me tomorrow evening on 75M, on or around 3885 for now. Just too tired to call CQ, and it's getting noisy here anyway. Time to turn in.
    Don