The Rookie CW Question Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

See post #31, then.

I learned 8 dits from my Ameco LP and used it until recently. But lately, as I have become a little bit faster, I have striven for economy in sending, and so have switched to "didit didit" a la W5BIB (and other OPs heard long ago, now, on the old marine CW bands).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    W5BIB likes this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Send It ALL, Before the Band Goes Out !
    I have one suggestion for new CW ops. This comes from using Morse for nearly 6 decades, starting from my Teens !
    When you are operating at a slow WPM, considering our current sunspot deficit and bands going into QSB rapidly,
    use excessive wording as little as you can. I mean words that don't really add any meaning to the QSO,
    like saying "MY LOCATION HERE IS, XXXX,XX" you need to speed it up by saying "QTH IS xxx,xx".
    Or, "MY RIG I AM USING HERE IS A KENWOOD TS666SP RUNNING IT AT 99 WATTS" it's quicker and exactly the same to say "RIG IS TS666SP RUN AT 99 W"
    There are just a handful of , commonly used, Q signals everyone can learn to use use on CW , and they save a lot of time.
    There are also a bunch of STANDARD Abbreviations that we all should learn, many lists on the web.
    I hear a few of "Cellphone Text Msg " abbereviations that are creeping into the CW world. Like BTU, OMG and LOL. may be good or maybe not since a lot of us OTs don't have much experience with them, :D LOL
    Last word, Have Fun !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    KD7ICW and M6GYU like this.
  3. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why? Heard a op calling CQ today on 20m. He called once then quiet. . . . . I thought about trying to answer since I am learning CW. He's gone. I tuned around some and found him calling CQ again on another freq, again once, then he moved again . . . WTH? Wouldn't he have more luck staying put and repeating the CQ call a few more times? I know the answer, just venting.

4. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoy CW. I think if you are doing it, you a CW OP! You will be glad you learned. Honestly one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to General yet after almost 2 years ( I know.... Bad) is I am really enjoying enjoying my privileges to the fullest at the moment. CW gets you on the HF bands immediately making some cool contacts. And you don't need a crazy rig either. Have fun!

KD7ICW likes this.