ad: wmr-1

The Rookie CW Question Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just do the didit didit or send a ? (IMI) & then start the word over.
    I sometimes do one or the other to repeat a word that may have had unusual spelling. YMMV ;)

dit dit

2. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a ragchewer and when I mess up a word (which we all do now and again) I just pause for a second and then start that word over.
    I think I read somewhere that this is what the QRQ guys do, so I try to imitate the pros :)
    And listening to the faster guys, this is what they seem to do.

Thanks, Tim

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

8 dits (or more)is whats in ACP121 (or whatever the correct number is), for all allied military ROs
    8 dits is whats in every version I've seen of, Handbook for Radio Operators, for all commercial operators
    8 dits is whats in my RSGB ham operating procedures booklet.

However, like W5BIB, by far the commonest method is ditdit ditdit = ii its quite distinct, especially if when sent at a slightly different speed than you were sending at when you made the mistake, I sometimes hear IMI (?) being use too.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Navy (1963) taught AT LEAST eight dits for an error sign. And this was fine-tuned into the "speed key" (aka bug) operators. It didn't mean an uninterrupted string of dits; it was eight individual letter e's. Sort of an incentive not to make misteaks.

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

A little info on Q signals: They can be sent with a question mark after the Q signal, and this changes the signal into a question. When you send QRL by itself, it means "this frequency is in use". To ask the question "Is this frequency in use?", you'd send QRL?

Technically, "QRL?" by itself would be an unidentified transmission. I do it, but only once or twice before IDing.

WB5YUZ, N2EY and N8AFT like this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW; TOO Many ops omit those important Question Marks!
    QRL? Good
    QRL when asking = Bad.

M6GYU likes this.
  7. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks guys. Was a typo. Nice to know you guys are paying such close attention. In any case, typo or not, the info has been made public. Thank you.
    Hank

8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When working with someone using a straight key you can tell the difference when they break their cadence and a few faster sent dits come over. It is a little harder to do using paddles. But you can still break your cadence by a pause followed by some out of cadence dits. It can be made fairly clear that they messed up.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Frequently work "new" stations on CW and, for the most part, these new operators do a great job. Most of them sound like they have been around for a number of years and have all the nuances down very well. Reports of the death of CW have been greatly exaggerated.

10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The standard error character is 8 dots in a row (or maybe 9). It's an obvious change from any other charater because it's 8 sounds long, everything else is shorter than that. I've also heard it as a string of dots spaced far apart. Also as a single loooong dash. It's a length that is obviously not 'normal'. If you are following the context of what's being sent, an error is fairly obvious, sort of. It's better to stick to the 8-dit character unless you've talked to this one person quite a bit. Other wise, a non-standard character can cause a really big mess. If it's not being sent by hand, such as with a computer, it won't be recognized if it isn't 'standard'. There are all kinds of 'short-cuts' if you and your listener are familiar with each other. If not, then do it correctly.