The Rookie CW Question Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I send R R R sometimes...It don't mean nuttin but "R", return, reply, received etc...
    I'll send VVV to get attention to the fact that "Hey I'm Here'! Somethins gonna happen soon!
    Then call CQ or run through your alphabet, numerals, The Quick Red Fox, Bens Best Bent Wire.
    I send TEST before and TEST AR at end of those however.
    Have fun, be flexible, it's only a hobby but still a great asset in times of crisis.

Learn Morse.
    Do CW Wharever / However.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"R" is really supposed to mean "I copied everything you sent" (or similar), so no need to repeat anything. "RR" I guess means "I really, seriously, copied everything you sent 100.000%.":)

So, it is senseless to send "R" and then ask the other station to repeat. Or "RRR but I missed your name," and stuff like that. If you didn't copy everything 100%, no reason to send "R."

There's also no reason to send AR K. AR is "end of transmission," and "K" is "invitation to transmit," and they're different things but if you're turning it over to the other station, "K" suffices just fine.

I hear newcomers often sending "BTU" (British Thermal Unit?), and they mean "back to you," but there's really no reason to send this. There's also no reason to send a lot of stuff: Like NAME HR IS, when just "NAME" would do just fine. I usually use "OP" (operator here is), only because it's slightly shorter than "name." No reason to send QTH HR IS when "QTH" works perfectly and already means that.

Code, like shorthand, is all about brevity and efficiency; using less time to send mundane stuff leaves more time to send interesting stuff, like "OTHR HOBBIES?" or "STILL WKG?" or "ANY KIDS?" or whatever. At least for me.

N2EY, WB5YUZ, M6GYU and 1 other person like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BILL,
    YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT SQUARELY ON THE HEAD WITH
    YOUR ANSWER..... BRAVO......

CONGRATS ON A GREAT QRZ PAGE AND YOUR MANY
    YEARS IN HAM RADIO.

HAVE A FUN FILLED LABOR DAY WEEKEND.

73 CARMEN.jpg

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said OM Steve!
    Yes, this info should be part of every new CW op's instuction book.
    Yes, BK BK and BTU is un-neccessary as there has always been the correct pro-sign / proceedure in place. "K"
    Popular CW clubs tend to promote modern but inaccurate procedures and pro-sign use sorry to say.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Such splitting of hairs! What did the other guy talk about? I don’t know — he sent “OP HR IS JOE” then sent BTU! Can you believe that?

Yea, it would be nice to be concise and not have to pay more taxes because of those extra dits that we’re sent. But, get on the air, for goodness sake! Worry about those dah taxes in a contest. Even there, it’s not the end of the world.

M6GYU likes this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will send "R" two or three times when sigs are weak, but I had solid copy anyway, to make sure the other op knows I got everything. Otherwise, one R is usually enough. In addition, I still enjoy sending SOLID CPY (of course, others prefer CPI), even though it's redundant if you've already sent "R," because I got so much satisfaction out of being able to send it during those long-vanished Novice QSOs.

I haven't heard ARMCHAIR CPY in many years now, but it used to be common. Drat the OP who would send ARMCHAIR CPY and then ask for fills.

If I got most of it, but not all of it, I will often send FB instead of "R." If I only got a little of it, I use neither.

Like Steve says, never send "R" and then ask for repeats or fills.

Back to the OT; just this morning I worked WA7HJV and my fist was wonky for some reason, so I had to start several transmissions with VVV to settle me down. It really does help me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BRAD

IT' ALL GOOD.............

EVERYTHING BOILS DOWN TO THIS

MORSE INVENTOR.jpg

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY MORSE CODE
    73 - K1LKP

8. N2NTR

N2NTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dumb question I haven't seen asked, how does one designate an "uh oh" or "oopsie" when keying? Say if I'm sending my callsign and key -. / ..--- / -- WHOOPS!

I've seen HH (8 dits) mentioned, but haven't seen a definitive answer and haven't seen the subject come up.

9. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CW Rookie here, too.

I believe the 8 dits (or HH prosign) is the standard for "error", but I have never heard it on the air. What I have heard is a series of single dits (a string of E's).

The number of E's varies from 3 to 5, typically, and I think I have heard 8. But this is not the HH prosign. It is just a number of E's, usually sent at a slower speed than what was being used before the error.

It definitely stands out from the normal flow and it is very easy to send, even with a paddle.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most experienced CW ops don't send all 8 dits for an error.

I -- and a lot of experienced CW ops -- send di-dit di-dit, like two "I" letters, for the same thing, just to save time.

Frankly, rather than send anything at all to indicate an error, I usually just repeat whatever I sent, but without the error. That saves even more time.:p

The whole idea of CW is efficiency. Every dit you save leaves more time for actual conversation.:)