ad: chuckmartin

The reported death of Amateur Radio due to FT8 is an exaggeration

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will for sure do a lot more phone and CW. But probably still some FT8. As I see FT8, just another QSO-tool in my toolbox. And too keep skill on top, one need to practice continously. Same reason I still practice both phone and CW, eventhough I do a lot more FT8 nowadays.

2. PY4AZ

PY4AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

HV ON, HF RF vs digital ? Obviously !! the trend goes digital no question about that. HF spectrum becomes less and less active SSB / AM for obvious reasons. And we blame propagation ? False , telling you its FALSE news. Solar cycle understood , we low YES ! The band may seem quiet when you look at your spectrum scope - as many watches and waits nothing happens except for digital and cw, all you hear ? yeah propagations fault again. Yet ....and this is the interesting part without any question. Not accusing anybody "yet" DXr calling CQ SSB and within short time the freq is so cluttered that I have to split 5Up to make things better for everyone ? Now why ? does those clutter pile up hams - NOT CQ ? and keep the SSB propagation more active ? why do we always wait for the band to be busy? why do we not keep it busy on SSB as years has proven. The facts will remain unknown. The answers is with each and every HAM RADIO operator , and NOT with Ft8 and/or any other developers / users and or programs! If the new release 2020 radio can do everything, Call CQ, CW, Ft8, SSB , fill the logbook/LoTW and post a card whilst answering emails and comment on QRZ - then we never have to do anything ? hooray ! that's where the trend is taking us.. Are you excepting that ? definitely not me.
    I rather do it the old fashion way - and that's the way it is ! Lets not look for excuses and/or stupid topics with obvious answers , Good DX my Friends ! GOD BLESS de A25SL

N0CN likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The QSO-mode stats from the two most recent DX'peditions on ClubLog show a telling trend.

T31EU - CW FT8 SSB

6983 5129 2806

V84SAA - CW
    FT8 SSB

32879 15738 9468

When propagation is low, contacts are made with the modes that work best in those conditions.

Or nobody just like's to talk any more! It's not just ham radio either; I've given up trying to convince my YL when on break at work to just hit the speed dial on her phone and chat awhile instead of keying endless strings of trivial texts!

73, John, WØPV

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the stats, very interesting.
    Sounds obvious to me, but not to some people. No point even trying to explain.
    There is talk, and 'talk'.

If one wants to exchange medical reports with me, no thank you. Not that I don't care about your health, but it's not what I'm looking for during my limited time on the air.

Bring up some interesting technical topic, and I'm up for it.
    I've seen teens texting friends seated at the same table. Talk about triviality.

6. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a very strong opinion about this

7. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is FT 8 still around, why are we beating a dead horse.

8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is still around and so is the time honored QRZ tradition of beating a dead horse into a pink froth... Before we resurrect it and start over again!

N2NH likes this.
  9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

So how is your Golf score coming along. Q: What's the easiest shot in golf?
    A. Your fourth putt.

10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

PLAYER 1: What's the problem with my golf game?
    PLAYER 2: You're standing too close to the ball... after you've hit it.

11. KG9ZTX

KG9ZTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey if you like this awesome! Personally for me it sounds boring. But to each his own I say. I have no problems with people using FT8. Just not something I will ever be interested in doing. I wanna. He’s the rag so to speak...

I look at this as those who have facebook and 5,000 friends. The only friends I have on my Facebook, or those I have met face to face first! Lol

12. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

So did my second wife. Even got rid of the encyclopedias.

WN1MB likes this.