ad: AbAuRe-1

The protection you need for your IC-705?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked at my Lowe’s camera bag and thought it would be good, but it has my camera equipment in it and it was too expensive to use for my radio gear. I found a Ruggard backpack at B&H photo for $53. It has 6 padded subsections with movable padded velcroed partitions and a number of zippered compartments. It has a rain cover in a slot that I just discovered this weekend. It holds all support gear and three QRP radios, although it’s a bit heavy. If I need to walk to a spot, I’d eliminate the extra gear, but for setting up from the car or RV, I take it all.

M1WML likes this.
  2. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have the Peovi, the iCOM LC-192 backpack, and the Windcamp RC1 and I'm trying to come up with the best solution for my IC-705 system.

The RC1 and the ARK-705 look to be a very cool solution. I really like the fact that the ARK-705 fully encases the IC-705, which the Peovi doesn't. It kind of stinks that you can't use the RC1 without a modification, maybe they will sell a replacement support that does, and that comes standard on future ARK-705's.

My issue with the Peovi and the LC-192 is that you can't use them together without flipping one of the Peovi "ears" 180 degrees. I like the idea of a grab and go backpack, but I also would like to protect the 705 if I get to a place and want to take it out of the backpack and put it on a table (maybe hook up the Xiegu XPA-125B amplifier) and allow better airflow to the transceiver than being stuffed in the back.

So many possibilities.

W9JH and M1WML like this.
  3. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The price is the point...in my worthless opinion. That being said, I own the 705. Love it for what it is. I just think the marketed use case is not appropriate.

M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

M1WML likes this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Signal Sticks – Signal Stuff

They're VHF/UHF HT antennas (they now make a short mobile NMO-mount antenna as well).

They have pretty good performance if HTs are your thing. I have one and find it much better than the factory rubber duck. While on the long side, they're light and thin and can be tied in knots without harming them. I keep mine tied in a loop so it fits in smaller spaces (such as a pocket in a backpack) when not in use.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  6. WV0X

WV0X Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using this generic soft case with my IC-705. It can fit the radio, the 6AH Bioenno battery, the T1 tuner, a couple of wire antennas and some connector adapters. When operating, I do not take the radio out. I simply rotate it in a way that allows me to see the screen. Example deployment shown below.
    [​IMG]

M1WML, K9RJ, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  7. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

I own both the Peovi 'cage' and this Windcamp. The winner is... neither. The loser is... neither. In truth, the Windcamp is the better concept if you are looking for something that will actually protect your radio. The Peovi is nothing more than a mounting 'bracket' and offers no real protection. But the Peovi has a lot of potential; the manufacturer has already demoed additional bolt-on accessories and a pop-off clear plastic front face protector specifically designed to snap into the Peovi bracket handles. The biggest drawback of the Windcamp is not the additional weight - that's really a minor gripe when talking about protecting a $1,300 radio. No, it's the inability to mount the cage to something like a tripod. Windcamp has been very cagey (deceptive) on whether or not the hollow mounting screw on the bottom will accept a standard 1/4 x 20 threaded mount. Don't bother asking them. I'll tell you. It won't. I almost sent mine back because of this issue. But Windcamp does include a nicely integrated pop-out bracket that puts the radio as a very good viewing angle. So I guess I can forgive them.

M1WML and VE4MM like this.
  8. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...and a cup holder.

M1WML and KA0USE like this.
  9. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo. Also, I'm wondering why everyone thinks the IC-705 is so fragile? I'm sure it's plenty sturdy on its own. I use the same approach as you minus the plastic bag. On the last FD my KX2 got pulled off the table and landed face down in the soft sand. I picked it up, blew it off and continued operating. No sand got inside. I'm sure the IC-705 is almost as sturdy, even though it has a plastic case.

M1WML likes this.
  10. WN1MB

Whoa! Wicked rugged location. Care to share details?

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  11. WN1MB

There's an app for that...

M1WML, W2CPD and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

AK4LP, K0TWA, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks awful. I hope this little Cthulhu is convenient to use ...

M1WML, AJ6KZ and K8HIT like this.
  14. WN1MB

Please do not mince your words! Tell us how you really feel. ;)

You know...it's only a matter of time before some rube devises a 19" rack mount option for the 705 for "base" use.

M1WML and F8WBD like this.
  15. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm just ashamed to admit that I pee when it comes to me in nightmares :D

M1WML likes this.