ad: chuckmartin

The Pros and Cons of Amateur Radio License Plates

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KN4MKB, Jul 10, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN4MKB

KN4MKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't see a lot of video content on this matter so I decided to talk about it to start a conversation.
    Do you all have a amateur radio license plate?
    I guess there are pros and cons. If you're a private person, it's probably not for you.

2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

this is the same concern about privacy when most hams transmit your locations via APRS all day every day

in a public service or local emergency only amateurs can gain access to a locale

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham vanity license plates at attracted to VAIN people. No better way to invite intrusions into your private life. Gangs have followed Ham license plates to find the house location and later returned to wreak havoc.

KK9W likes this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS and the common position tracking websites aren't common public knowledge. One of the few ways for someone to find out about it would be by you displaying your call sign on your vehicle and someone typing it into Google. Don't give it out and the info stays amongst hams.

As for hams accessing emergency scenes....I can't tell if that's sarcasm or what, but far from true.

I don't display my call sign on my vehicle like I once did when I was a new ham. Encounterd an irate driver on my way home from work one afternoon. I didn't provoke him and gave him all the room to pass he wanted but he continued to tailgate and such. I stopped for fuel at the gas station two blocks before reaching home and he continued on. I thought nothing of it until I found him waiting in front of my house. I scraped my call sign decal off my window that afternoon.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    KO4ESA, WD4ELG and W4DRO like this.
  5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

With people being so unhinged these days, just don't do it. No reason to broadcast your hobby (no pun intended)

W9JEF and KO4ESA like this.
  6. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

No license tag for me(I don’t drive). : )
    But I design quilts and clothing. So I made a denim vest by cutting sleeves off of a denim jacket. Then I sewed embroidered patches and beaded sequins on the vest. I also put the amateur radio operator patch and the VE patch on it.
    Not an everyday vest. I might wear it at a ham festival or at a testing session.
    Point is we are individuals. Some like license tags,hat pins,patches and other stuff. But some don’t.
    Just be aware of how your area is and do what suits you best.

W9JEF likes this.
  7. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

its not sarcasm one bit, I remember from RACES training this is what we were told years ago here in VT , not sure if it applies to other states

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. N1WHO

N1WHO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve thought about having a decal or plate with my call sign just so any ham that happened to see me might want to key up and say hi. But I do admit that I decided against it simply because of some of the damn triggered weirdos out on the roadways these days. We’ve got more than our fair share of road raging idiots where I live. :eek:

AA1PR and KO4ESA like this.
  9. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Really depends on what state you live in. Here in Wake County, anybody with an internet connection can use the NC DMV website, type in your license plate #, and get your name and home address. They can also use the NC Voter Registration website and get your home address if they know your name. Also if they have your name they can also get your home address from the county tax office website. NC is like that. Nothing is private.

I have a bumper sticker with my call sign on it, but that goes to a PO Box in the FCC database. Maybe the road-rager will think he's smart and take the bait and write down my call instead of my tag # and look it up. A PO Box address won't do him much good unless he plans to stake out the post office. And that'll be a long wait because I only check it once every couple weeks or so.