THE PROLIFERATION OF SPECIAL EVENT STATIONS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

SPECIAL EVENT STATIONS AND CERTAIN CONTESTS:

It seems to me that the proliferation of all sorts of special event stations and minor contests have gotten a little out of hand. When we have on the air events such as: The Clara Chatter Party, The 16th Annual Bayou Teche Black Bear Festival, Fishing for Freedom, The 4th Annual RST Special Event and 500 Years of the Founding of the Panama Canal for example, I wonder what has happened to the art of conversation.These are just a few samples of the hundreds of special event stations/contests imploding on the bands. Some are more unusual than the above, celebrating every conceivable activity that the Amateur can dream up. I don't get it. Of what value is it to call an event station, receive a report and move on. .
    Have we reached a point where a 10 second contact is all we strive for in the name of competition? It​
    is a self-serving activity with no contribution to the Service and to ourselves other than the hollow root of activity.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There's still plenty of room on the bands for y'all to go on at length about your gout and kidney stones...

N3FAA, KF5RRF, N8SAN and 24 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you don't enjoy working them, "spin the dial"

It's pretty simple. Other people can oftentimes enjoy things you do not

Dave
    W7UUU

N4UP, K4AGO, W8ARC and 12 others like this.
  4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, oh no...not at all! Ham radio has to be what I like to do and NOTHING else!!! /sarc

K4AGO, K0IDT, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are waaaayyyy too many folks that actually have that idea, I'm afraid

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, WR2E, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes: ungh, never mind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So what? It's not like the bands are crowded right now (well, except the FT8 segments). There is a solution if these folks annoy you, however...

Spin the dial. :)

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you struck a nerve among the (not very) special event aficionados

WN1MB likes this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think special event stations are awesome, both for collecting their calls and cards and for operating. I operated both VI4LWF and VI4PEACE during the 100 year celebrations of the end of WW1, and would operate a special event call again in the future. I do radio for fun and to bring enjoyment to myself and others and operating special event calls brings a lot of enjoyment to others.

AD5HR, N4NYK, W2AI and 4 others like this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. There's plenty of room on the bands for everyone; I just don't grok this insistence that ham radio is CW only, or ragchewing only, or DXing only, or EMCOMM only, or... you get the idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.