The price of keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

US. I am also licensed as WB7PJR. It'd be about $600 Canadian. [grin]

Bought it at the old Oregon Ham Sales store, on 2nd street in Albany. It was started and run by a couple, Howard (W7SO) and June (whose call I can't remember) Truax. Wood floors, high ceilings, boxes and bins of parts and old radios everywhere. Man, I miss that place! It changed hands a couple times back in the '80s but the new owners just didn't have the same attitude about the biz that the founders did. Wanted to sell new stuff, get rid of all that hollow-state junk and stopped taking rigs on consignment.

Howard would sit down and take time with a 10-year-old kid who came in looking to buy about two dollars worth of parts to make a crystal radio. That kid was me, by the way, or at least I was one of them. Amazingly, I still have most of the stuff I bought from Howard back in the '70s and early '80s. It still works, why get rid of it?

Every Saturday morning it was like a mini-hamfest in there. Guys would come in for coffee and doughnuts, then stand around and chat, then somebody would drift over to the demo area and start calling CQ with one of the radios. The bench tech, Ed, would be back there fixing radios and a bunch of guys would stand around watching the master.

Chuck VE7PJR

N2EY likes this.
  2. W4JF

W4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

There should be more keys and less microphones...on all bands.

KG7WGX, N2EY, N2SUB and 1 other person like this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll drink to that

[​IMG]

4. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

<CLINK>

You clean up good in a tux...:p

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

You are required to dress like that to use a Begali

6. K8PG