ad: CARC-1

The price of keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

All look like Junk .

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't have anything nice to say, say it on the Zed. ;)

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a market for junk.

4. AA0O

AA0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to find a couple deals at Hamcation, picked up a mint BY-2 paddle with the fiberglass cover for $95. Also got a 5 port RigRunner for $25. It was only my 3rd hamfest and I'm glad I found a few things on my list for a deal.

N2SUB likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

Declining popularity of CW? I think not! All depends where you look and what you look for.

In terms of percentage of hams using the mode, CW may not be as popular as it once was. But in terms of total users of the mode, since our numbers (at least in the USA) are growing, the total market for CW keys should be increasing.

---

When I first got my license in 1967, there were those who told me that "CW is on the way out." There were plenty of hams then who never used the mode - I suspect many of them couldn't.

In those days 2 and 6 meter AM were the big deal in local/regional stuff, and there were plenty of Technicians around. The popular 2 and 6 meter rigs of those days couldn't do CW at all; they were AM only. (And those rigs - Communicators, Lunchboxes, Utica 650s, Lafayette HA-460s) were VERY popular).

There were plenty of hams who had SSB-only HF rigs that couldn't do CW either....some didn't even cover the non-phone parts of the band! Early Swans....the Heath single-banders....the SBE-33....and others. Some rigs marketed as "SSB/CW transceivers" were useless on CW (KWM-2, NCX-3, others).

In those days there weren't a lot of key manufacturers - there are far more today. And far more models!

Always remember to adjust for inflation. A Vibroplex Original Standard today is $211.95 (Vibroplex website price). In 1967 it was $24.95.....which inflates to $186.23 today.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Benton Harbor Lunch Box (IIRC Heathkit called them the "Twoer" and the "Sixer":

[​IMG]

7. N2EY

Yep. The Sixer was made in two versions - the HW-29 and the HW-29A. The earlier version needed special crystals.

There was also the Tener, for 10 meters (not many sold) and a version for 27 MHz.

Also the Heathkit that never was.....

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...ep-to-get-it-right.426910/page-9#post-3119296

(post #81)

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/incredible-dollars-squandered.330855/page-7#post-2449281

(post #62)

8. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Vibroplex Original Standard still has the price tag stuck under it. I bought that key new in 1977, for $39.95.

Chuck VE7PJR

WB5YUZ likes this.
  9. N2EY

Canadian or US $?

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's about what I paid for my used one in 1991. I thought it was a fair price, since new ones were going for about seventy-five bucks by then.