The price of keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, indeed. But the common J-38 is not one of them. Nothing wrong with them, but they aren't amazing by any measure other than the amazing prices they command these days.

AG6QR and N2SUB like this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

J-37 all the way. Just as common, cheap and they last forever. :)

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

There is something about this design that attracts me to it. I would like to find one (could be a recent clone/copy) in good condition, and at a down to earth price, as I'm neither a collector nor an investor.:D

Question: I see them with and without the shorting bar. Is this an option or people remove the shorting bar? I prefer without the shorting bar, but not if it violates the original design.

4. N2SUB

To my knowledge, there is no design of the J-37 with a shorting bar, but I could be wrong. There were so many of them made. If you've got a picture of one with a shorting bar, I'd like to see it...learn something new every day.

If you want a J-37, PM me and I'm sure I can find something in my lot that we could make a deal on.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I think you are right. I'm not familiar with the differences, they all look the same to me. I just checked some pictures online, and looks like only the J-38s have the shorting bar. This makes the J-37, and its clones, my preferred one.

Thank you very much for the offer, really appreciated! The way cross border postal costs are these days, it would increase the total cost substantially. If I find one locally, which I did in the past but failed to purchase it, good, if not, it's ok too.;)

N2SUB likes this.
  6. N2SUB

There are so many different flavors of the J-37, you never can tell. The one I posted earlier is for a Plug and Key Assembly Number 9. It went inside a thin metal box and was used for mobile operation. You notice that the adjustment screws were moved from the outside of the base and put inside between the level and the inside of the base so that it fit inside the box. This particular one also has 3 pieces of metal in the leaf spring. I'm not sure if it was built that way or if it was a modification someone did.

7. G0IIK

G0IIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that's optimism with a capital O !

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

It does not hurt to try.:cool:

I tried, and I'm still on good terms with N2SUB. Even better, I think he's still on good terms with me.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's surprising that the keys/paddles maintaining value. With the declining popularity of cw plus every one into cw is not buying new keys/paddles.

10. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it was bound to happen. I had a QSO with a guy (K6AAQ, Bob) this afternoon on 30m and he was using a J-37. One of his favourite keys, apparently. He could sure-heck play that thing.

[sigh]...I guess I gotta get me one and see how it works.

Hmmm...looking at the key shelf it's getting to the point of "one in; one out." If anyone would like to trade for a Menominee KOB (key on board) outfit with a telegraph sounder, I have a couple of those that I haven't used since I was on the wire in 2004.

I'll propose a straight swap and pay the postage on it if there's a will to trade, otherwise I'll hit the Great Internet Bizarre Bazaar...

Chuck VE7PJR