The price of keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I agree 100%.

2. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that the Junker is a great key. You can find them cheaper if you keep waiting. I got mine for $55. Key on the left.

[​IMG]

NL7W and N2SUB like this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing or two about used keys is that one in average condx is pretty simple and easy to fix up. There isn't a lot there to go wrong compared to a vintage receiver or transmitter. In some cases the old keys are nicer and one in average shape might be half the cost of a new one. This is probably why Vibroplex and others have branched out into other product lines. It's pretty hard to build planned obsolescence into a key, which is essentially a special kind of switch. However, the special anniversary Japanned base Vibroplex they brought out a few years ago, is a very nice key.

N2SUB likes this.
  4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They went out of production recently. A new one still in the plastic is probably getting rare.

Somebody on e-bay has actually bid $75.00 for one of those really cheap Amecos, the one with the plastic base MFJ sells now for something like $12.00. Of course, there's no way to know if the money ever changed hands. I think I still have one of those somewhere, but I lost track of it because until recently it was worthless.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your bug is exactly like mine! (1974 vintage Original Standard).

73 de Jim, N2EY

AA4OO likes this.
  6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

The weight of the coin acts as a preload for the spring.

What's a Steinway??
    Depends on how much beer is left therein.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those thrown in a junk box somewhere. I'm sure it's good shape, and will have to resurrect it.

8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When some folks buy vintage keys, part of what they're buying is the history behind the key. I'm especially thinking about military keys. Some amazing military keys were produced during WWII and also during the cold war era. When they're in decent shape, they command serious prices on ebay.

N2SUB likes this.
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked up a cold war key and started tapping away rather feverishly.
    Got a response, "Slow down. Are you Russian?" :p

10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice looking Century 21! :)

N2SUB and AA4OO like this.