The price of keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Some body drilled a hole in that!!?!! I use to collect coins:confused:

If you want an ultra high quality key, look at this....

https://www.straight-keys.com/

2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the K-4 isn't a bad key. But it was cheap!

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

And the price has gone up substantially. I remember seeing them new on eBay for $20-25. Last time I checked it was 2 or 3 times that.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Charging.....or asking?

I agree that the prices you mentioned are off the wall for the keys you describe. BUT....did anyone buy them at that price?

Or did everyone else do what you did - shake their heads and move on?

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very attractive question.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First time I've ever seen a question described as "attractive"!

The reason I ask is that I, too, have seen people asking very high prices for junk, both at hamfests and the watery auction place. I've also seen the same stuff carted around and around, and relisted over and over on the auction places.

I have found eBay to be very useful by looking at the "SOLD" listings - because they show what stuff actually sold, and what it sold for. Looking at "COMPLETED" is also interesting, because one sees items that did NOT sell.

I think there are four possibilities of what is going on:

1) People think their junk is actually worth those high prices.

2) People know their stuff is junk but hope that someone who doesn't will eventually show up and buy it for high prices.

3) People don't really want to sell their junk, but need a cover story to convince SWMBO to "let" them go to hamfests.

4) Money laundering - particularly with auctions.

----

And remember - things like eBay and hamfests are about the purest examples of free-market capitalism around. Prices are whatever buyer and seller agree to.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Because they can.

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you are either accustomed to a high standard of living or have not priced new keys in a long time.

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it amazing how the price for a Junker (Yoonker) straight key in good, not scrap, condx has about doubled since buying 2 of them on eBay in September. Guess I got the last real good and low priced ones at about 100 each. Grab one when you find one. The machined parts fit is vy precise.
    They are esp nice as they are fully insulated for running your old op shocker DX35 etc... won't get bit by touching the key wrong.
    They have both NC and NO terminals for using your Drake rx mute line QSK as well.