The PC world is changing and you have no real control.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K7MEM, May 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you will be happy with any other hosting provider than GD. They used to pull tricks when transfering DNS hosting, not sure if they do any more, best wishes eith yga.t

https ought to be free: certificates ought to be free from Let's Encrypt. emails for the domain ought to be free. and as pointed out above, hosting SMTP is a lot of trouble these days, best if you do not hsve to.

you cerrainly put the "mem" in K7MEM, good stuff!

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Previously you had to buy a SSL certificate but now you can get certs good enough for most sites for free from https://letsencrypt.org. They have a simple app that modifies your web server config and does everything for a simple setup including a redirect from http to https and automated renewal of the cert.

Well ... just to be clear. My suggestion of a "virtual private server" is more along the lines of doing it yourself than a menu driven approach like cPanel. The provider gives you a server with the O/S installed ready to go. You need to login to the command line and do the rest. It's sometimes called "infrastructure as a service". It's all virtual of course but it's as if they setup a new machine, install the O/S, connect the network and give you root access. Then it's over to you. I guess the menu drive approach is more "software as a service".

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still a little confused. Did your e-mail address change ? There may be a way to get MS-mail without "subscribing" to Whatever 365.

4. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some years back when I was sick of Godady's ads and other shenanigans I signed up with QTH.com. I had to do a few things and Scott stepped me through the process I needed to do to transfer my domain and he handled the rest. It was as seamless as I think it could get and I'm happily supporting another active ham to boot. The hosting works with HTTPS and TLS is used for my email.

Some years ago I took over the hamlib.org domain and Scott made that transition easy peasy as well. I'm on the cheap $5/month plan + domain fees.

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the deal is no more email accounts for anyone. New or old.

The free/incluced email accounts that use to be associated with your hosting or domains now only exist through MS 365.

My domains and hosting are also 10-15 years old, but it doesn't make any difference.

GoDaddy was great, when I first signed up. I hosted my web site and even used a sub-domain for other web sites. A few of my domains were linked to those sub-domains. They even offered several hundred email addresses with my hosting account. Now, all that is history. First, they shut down the use of sub-domains. I had to open more hosting accounts to handle the other domains. That, of course, cost more money.

I only had one email account that was included with my hosting. That email account was used for all of my needs. I had another email account that was associated with a domain I rented. Then recently, it was all gone. They sent me a email that said email accounts are no longer included with your domains or hosting and that your email accounts have been transferred to MS 365. If you want to still use that email, you have to register with MS 365. In my account, there are email links that only take you to the MS 365 email. My main email is up and running again, and they didn't lose any email in between, but it is with MS 365. Right now it's a trial setup but in about 30-60 days, they are going to ask for money.

KY4GD, thanks for the +1. This new host is a bit difficult for me to figure out. It's like they invented a new language to deal with hosting. I have created a DO droplet and a Space. Uploaded a bunch of site files, but I can't seem to get it all to work together yet. When I try to connect to the new site, I only get a XML file and a complaint about not having any associated style information. I haven't figured out that issue yet. Once I get the site responding right, I can get rid of GoDaddy.

6. K7MEM

Yes, it's all very confusing. No, my email address did not change. I do have other email addresses but they have nothing to do with GoDaddy.

It does sound odd because, my email address was associated with my hosting account and domain name (xxx@k7mem.com). It is still "xxx@k7mem.com", but now I have to access it through Microsoft/Office 365.

GoDaddy transferred the content of my email account, and address name, to Microsoft/Office 365. And it was only retrievable by "subscribing" to Microsoft/Office 365. There was no other choice. GoDaddy doesn't provide "choices". Either get it from Microsoft/Office 365 or it will no longer exist.

I did have a little advantage because, there really wasn't much in my account. I only accessed it with a external mail client (Thunderbird) with a POP-3 connection. I never left anything in my GoDaddy account. All my configuration was local. When I set up the Microsoft/Office 365 account, I changed my POP-3 settings and was able to use T-Bird again.

If I get my new hosting company (DigitalOcean.com) operational, I will see about moving my domains and eliminate the need to use Microsoft/Office 365 for email. Right now it's a new adventure.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you luck. I just don't completely understand how MS-Mail can ONLY be accessed through MS 365 accounts. (Then again, since it apparently has been transferred to MS server[s,] all bets may be off. i KNOW I may well be "preaching to the choir," but have you tried:
    1. Accessing your e-mail with W1n 10 Mail?
    2. Your account MAY have been changed from POP3 to IMAP when MS took over. Can you try THAT? Just a suggestion.

My "problem" with e-mail is I have only TWO accounts that IO actually use: one is my personal account, and the other is "wa9svd@verizon<dot>net. (Both are @ "verizon<dot>net.) My wa9svd account works with the same the password, on ANY computer, with T-bird, Win 10 Mail, OR the AO_*ell mail client. My personal account, however, ONLY works with the AO-*ell e-mail account. (Which *ucks NIG time!) Both accounts are supposedly POP3. AO-*ell can't (or won't) explain.

8. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... I have never used godaddy. My domain is at https://www.crosswinds.net/ They offer good setup. I have a domain, sub-domain, and email. html or php, they don't care, and don't charge extra for https.

edit: I do volunteer there, but I gain nothing if you get an account there.

9. K7MEM

Well, W10 mail is just the old "Outlook", refurbished. It's not any better than the old "Outlook". In my younger days, we use to refer to it as "out of luck". I never liked Outlook originally, and still don't. But if I try to access the email from Outlook, it simply prompts me to log into Microsoft/Office 365.

The old email was referred to as "Workspace" email. Now, there is a link in my GoDaddy account to manage my "Workspace" email, but again, it only takes me to the front end of Microsoft/Office 365. That provides access to a calendar, todo lists, and email. The email client is Outlook.

Yes, I can try that, but GoDaddy never suggested that they were simply changing my email configuration, and to use another connection method. They simply sent a email to me that said "We successfully moved you to a new email platform." and then my "Workspace" email on GoDaddy stopped working. They have also removed any of the help files that had the POP-3 and IMAP information. I can get at my email through "web mail", via my GoDaddy account, but that's just Microsoft/Office 365 and Outlook.

N4AAB, thanks for the link. It looks like a good site. They offer almost everything that GoDaddy offered initially. As I said before, GoDaddy was great when I first signed on. But over the years, they chipped away at it and I am ready to leave them.

So far I have been able to successfully been able upload my web pages to my digitalocean.com account and it is available on the net. The upload of all my files (3,324 files) was easy and fast. I was able to simply use "drag and drop" from a File Explorer window on my PC. I could have also used FTP via Filezilla, but I haven't configured that yet. Although, I did have to upload twice because I hosed up the access permissions the first time. It seems that their default is not "public". I asked their support group for help and got a very nice response. It may take a while to go through all the information they supplied.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Things do seem to be getting better.

Here is a email story. When I was working, I was the lead Unix administrator for may years. In the early days we had our Unix servers running "sendmail". But when we found out about all of the security holes in "sendmail", the company went to an Exchange Server and everyone forgot about the configuration on the Unix systems. While "sendmail" was no longer working, the servers were continually processing local email. Local email, like to "root", is generated by things like cron jobs or other OS operations. There was a message for everything it did. Well, years went by without any issues until one day, when a new guy saw "sendmail" on the system and started it up. Nothing seemed to be happening, so he left it running.

Well, all of the old "sendmail" configuration information was still on the system. So "sendmail" dutifully started processing the local email and sent it to the configured recipients. I was one of the configured recipients for all "root" mail. That is, all 18,000 emails, that have been building up for years. So I get to work one morning and start up my email client (Thunderbird) and I see a warning from the Exchange Server that my mail box is full. How could that be? I always POP all my email from the server. Well, to shorten this story a bit, Thunderbird spent the next 8 hours downloading 18,000 emails.

No one would ever admit to starting up "sendmail".

WA9SVD and N4AAB like this.
  10. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're welcome. They are easy to work with.