ad: vanity

The PC world is changing and you have no real control.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K7MEM, May 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you know Unix, I think you'd be better off dumping GoDaddy and all the control panel stuff and getting your own virtual server at Digital Ocean or Linode or similar. They both have $5 per month servers with 1 GB memory which is probably plenty for your needs. You might find even cheaper than $5 if you shop around. Vultr is another one. This is your own private Linux server where you have root access to do pretty much whatever you want. They're easy to setup. You basically click to select a distro and a brand new server is up and running in a minute or so.

There are plenty of tutorials but running a web server is simple, especially since it sounds like you're just serving files. It's basically apt install apache and away you go.

In theory, running an email server is also simple but in practice it's a PITA. Postfix is the default on Ubuntu and easy to setup (sendmail compatible). The hassle is getting all the spam prevention measures correct for sending outgoing mail. I've done this and got SPF, DKIM, reverse DNS and everything else right but Hotmail / Outlook.com still flags some mail from my server as spam. I'm still running this for a few friends which I foolishly offered to do many years ago. For incoming, I just forward their domain mail to another address, usually at Gmail. I refuse to provide mailboxes. They're just too much trouble and responsibility and make it difficult to move to a different host. Other services can do mailboxes much better and with good spam filtering. I provide an outgoing SMTP server that they can use to send "from" their domain while using Gmail or Thunderbird or whatever and get the benefit of my hopefully correct anti-spam setup.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    KK4NSF and K6CLS like this.
  2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh My. First of all I don't doubt that the PC world of the OP is changing and that he has no real control. But I would not generalize. Some of us don't have these problems.

1. I have had a website with very large storage and fast access since 1979. And have never had any problems with the website or the company hosting it. Moreover, the company has been "bought out" twice and in each case the new owner has grandfathered my email addresses and has not raised its prices or confounded me with changes. I started with Erol's then Starpower and now RCN. And yet nothing really has changed. Whatever "changes" have been made have been transparent and have had no effect on me. My password is the same as it was in 1997. My email address likewise. So my advice is get away from Godaddy.

2. I used to use MS Office. But you know they kept changing it needlessly. And then they wanted to go to a subscription basis and cloud nonsense ( I have slow unreliable internet with hard data limits, so I am not going to do much in the cloud ( and of course the more "cloud" you have the less control you have )). So I switched to Libre Office, which can handle any MS Office document. I have updates turned off so even they cannot mess me up. No problem. So my advice is ditch MS.

3. I mostly use Windows 7 ( multiple networked computers ) with one Windows 10 computer for "convenience" ... but all have updates turned off ( yes, even Windows 10 is easy to turn updates off completely ). Been turned off for years, no problems. The only thing I allow to automatically update is my security software ( Webroot ).

4. Control is mostly an illusion ( and marketing hype ). We all have "some" control. Some people have more than others based on the choices made. But no one has any real control.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    PU2OZT and KK4NSF like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

1979? 110 and 300 baud dialup? Not even the BBS era, certainly before TCP/IP, and HTTP (1991 for the super cool folks)

Did you mean 1997?

N4UP likes this.
  4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good catch. Yes, November 28, 1997 to be exact. Hey, I was only off by 18 years !

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

@N4IP, by the way, (thumbs up) everything else you said there

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

KT1F, thanks for the links. I was looking at hosts like "Hostinger", but your links look like a more viable alternative. The low cost could allow me to start sooner than expected.

My needs are not huge, so I am looking into all three of the hosts you mentioned. I don't ask a web server to do anything other than pass out files. Any real work is done in the users browser, when they connect to my site. But I do need the web host to handle my domain name and provide "https" access. Handling my one email address would be great, but currently not top priority.

Several years ago, Godaddy called me up and offered to provide "https" access for a mere $250. I told them I should get it for free, like every other host offers. They never called me again. I hope they were "recording it for quality purposes".

As far as MS Office, I have a purchased copy of the office suite. I only use Word occasionally, and sometimes I find Excel very useful. So right now I only need the email from Office 365. I think Office 365 was originally installed on this PC, but I deleted it a long time ago.

Over the years I have had to install and maintain many web servers. We had over 600 Unix machines on the network and twice the number of PCs. And, there were only 4 or 5 Unix admins to take care of everything. There was also a PC group, so I didn't get into the day to day support of the PCs. But I no longer have an interest in maintaining a bunch of servers and web hosts. I'm 72 now and I want someone to take care of it for me. That's why I like the links that KT1F gave me.

I know a lot of users complain about W10 and the updates. I was skeptical initially, but now I find it a bit of a relief. Since MS first offered the W7 to W10 update, I have had only one update that was bad. And that was easy to fix. The fact that someone else takes care of this is great. When MS first started this update scheme, they would wake up my PC in the middle of the night, and the install and reboot. I'm glad they stopped that. Now I can delay the updates until it is convenient for me. Yea, I could stop updates all together, but I don't see the point.

When I was working, things were very different. All of our systems had to be up to date. That meant we couldn't use any outdated OSs, or outdated application installs, and patches were updated every 30 days. We had to be up to date on all application and OS releases. We had some very expensive software, that was covered under a support agreement. Our CAD/CAE software (Cadence Design Systems) alone cost over $100,000 a year for support. The support agreement gave us a two day turnaround on any issues we had. However, if our machines were not fully up to date, the support group wouldn't even talk to us. The agreement was effectively void until we updated everything. They would say, "Update your OS and application release, test your problem again, and get back to us". We often found that updating everything took care of our problems/issues.

Yea, I knew, 1979 was a typo. I have been working with computers since the late 60's and remember the startup of the internet. I recall that my first connection with the internet was at work. We had a Sun 3-260 Unix system (68000 based) that had a 64 KBaud hardline connection to some place in California. We used it as a New Group server and thought that was pretty wild, at the time.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Office 365 is now (apparently) Microsoft 365. Either way, it has (demands) a yearly subscription; it isn't a "one time" purchase. (As if MS isn't gouging enough the way it is?)
    You should, however research if G*dayddy actually "REQUIRES" '365, or if it is only a (VERY STRONG) "suggestion." (If yhey require e-mail through a subscription of 365, then that has to be added to their own $ for hosting. As much hassle as it is, you might well bo better with a different host.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the response, but yes, I am already well aware that they changed the name from Office 365 to Microsoft 365. Currently, it doesn't make any difference to me. It takes a while to adjust to a name change. I am also aware that it is a rental, not a purchase. Right now I am running on a free trial just for email. I looked up their pricing scheme and it appears you can rent it monthly. Of course, you usually get a break if you do it yearly. I guess I will find out when my free trial is up. For the other apps (Word, Excel, etc.) I already have a purchased copy. No rental.

There is no strong suggestion from GoDaddy. They simply set a "do not respond" email that said, "oh by the way, all of your email setups are going away and you can find them at at MS". Like it or lump it. Then they sent a email that said, "this is the last email you get unless you sign up with MS". At which point, my email stopped working. They have links and icons all over my hosting account that can take me to my MS email. My guess is that GoDaddy and MS are working together with this. GoDaddy has nothing to do with email any more. And, while there is no added fee by GoDaddy for this email switch, there is also no reduction in fee for not providing email service anymore. GoDaddy prices only go up, not down.

Oh yea, I am actively trying to move everything. KT1F gave me some promising links. I working with one but having trouble figuring out how to navigate the site. It's very different than the GoDaddy site.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a bit confused.

I use GoDaddy and the deal was no more "Free" Email accounts.

My domains are old enough that I still have at least 1 email address per domain "Included". My understanding is that New domains/accounts have to pay.

Yes GD is getting expensive. But it is hard to give up when you have been getting screwed for over 15 years. o_O

WA9SVD likes this.
  10. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 for setting up a DO droplet or some other VPS, this gives you the most control for the least loot. If you prefer a more managed solution, something comparable to GD, check out the French outfit Gandi. I have used them to hold my domains and email addresses for many years, and they have been splendid. You actually feel like a customer, rather than a mark, which is how GD and MS make people feel.

Their motto says it all:

https://www.gandi.net/en-US/no-bullshit

KA9JLM likes this.