The PC world is changing and you have no real control.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K7MEM, May 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is just a little bit about what happened to me recently. This involves Godaddy and MS.

I have a website that is hosted on Godaddy. My needs are very simple. I just need a server that supports HTML and Javascript. Since it's really your browser that supports HTML and Javascript, the server doesn't have to do much but send it out. I also have a domain, or two, and one email address. Over the years Godaddy has tried to screw me several times. They continue to raise prices without offering anything useful. But it's such a pain to switch web hosts. So I just put up with a lot of it.

Anyway, very recently Godaddy informed me that they are switching my hosting to C-Panel and are changing the email. The change to C-Panel is no big deal. Everything just looked different in my account. They now offer about 200 applications that can be installed in your account, but I found that, none are useful for my needs. After all, HTML and Javascript are just text files. I do all my development on my local PC, so I only need FTP access. Godaddy claimed that nothing would change in the switch to C-Panel, but during the switch, I had to reset my FTP access 3 or 4 times.

But that stuff was relatively easy to handle. The changing of the email was different. Godaddy said that they were dropping support for email. When I first started with them, they were offering several hundred email addresses, included for free. But the real issue is that Godaddy has sold out all clients that use email to MS. They simply informed everyone that any mail access on their site will cease and to retrieve your email you "must" sign up with Office 365. They give you 30-60 days free, but eventually this will come out of your pocket. Of course, Godaddy is not reducing its hosting fees.

When my email access was abruptly shut off, I followed a few links and signed up with Office 365 for their free trial. In the mean time, I am switching all of my accounts that require a email address to a different address. I then set the Office 365 setup to forward any email to a different address. When you do this, I now get a popup telling me that I had forwarded all my mail, and there isn't any way to shut it off. Also, when I get mail, a "ding" is now played whenever mail arrives. My computer is always set to not make any noises. I play some music through my compute and don't want it interrupted with noises. Now I have one that I can't get rid of unless the volume is at "0". That's real helpful.

But here is something that may shake some people up a bit. When I signed up for the Office 365 email, my MS login ID was changed. This is the ID and password I would need to log into my computer. I have been using this ID across several PCs since MS introduced Windows 10. Of course, they didn't tell me that it was changed or what it was changed to. I found this out when I tried to do an operation that required my MS login ID and password. It took a while to figure out what was wrong, but it seems that my MS login ID was changed to the email address that I signed up for. But they didn't change the password. And, there was no link that said "I forgot my login or password".

So far, I have figured everything out. Now I just have to figure out how to access Office 365 email using POP3. A google search says it can be done. I guess I will find out. I hope so because the Office 365 email client is horrible. I use Thunderbird as a email client. All of my contacts and filters are set up in Thunderbird.

I was the lead Unix Admin, where I use to work, for over 20 years. Maybe it's time for me to get back to Unix. And, of course, find a new web host. Godaddy is just old and tired. I'm currently looking at "Hostinger". They seem to offer everything I need.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. And GoDaddy even makes it a PITA to cancel their service. I went through that a few years ago because I saw where it was going then.

The Borg continue to absorb anyone who gets near them. Resistance is not futile, you just have to *continually* change the ways to which you are accustomed. (But for many, that's what makes resistance futile...)

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. K7MEM

A little correction.

Enabling Office 365 did change both my login ID and password. I figured out the login ID, but not the password yet. The only thing that saves me is that I added a "PIN" number several years ago and that was usable. I'm sure that MS will take care of that loop hole soon.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ihave what may be a similar "problem" with e-mail . Several years back, Verizon changed all their e-mail accounts from their server to the "AO-*ell" server(s.) I was usnng Win 98 and T-bird originally, and to "verizon<dot>net accounts; one personal, and one with my callsign. When transferred over to XP on a new computer (actually, 2 newer computers) and T-bird still worked fine, with the verizon accounts. Somewhere along the line, (after a computer crash) I had to use the AO*ell mail client, and now, when I try to use T-bird with my AO_*ell password, I can receive e-mail, but NOT send it. However, my verizon<dot>net account with my AO-*Ell password (actually, the same as my personal password) works fine with T-bird, Win 10 Mail, and AO-*ell. Both verizon<dot>net accounts are (at least, were) "POP3." AO-*ell insists I have to use a different 10 character (gibberish) password (assigned by THEM:mad:) on each computer I use, but I use four different computers! :( The verizon<dot>net account with my callsign uses the same password on any computer I use with T-bird. It just does NOT make sense, that one account would work (the way I would think it should) and the other is F**** (fouled) up? ANy suggestions? (Other than going to" g-mail," which IS a possibility, but I don't think they support or allow POP3 accounts.:()

5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not ditch Godaddy, and transfer its content to your bio page? Short of libel, we're pretty much free to put anything on it--even politics (as some Zedites have done).

I do find the posting of images there to be a major PITA, but Vlad @UA6JD is very helpful in that respect.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

6. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They had announced dropping POP access several years ago but back down after complaints. I seem to remember they made some changes and so some really old clients may not work. Looking just now says they still support it. As well as IMAP.

7. K7MEM

You are correct about ditching Godaddy, but transferring the web site to my bio page is not really an option. My web site pages consist mostly of HTML and Javascript files and require about 3GB of space. I also need space for special documentation like PDF files. I doubt that QRZ would give me that much space. I also don't believe that they allow Javascript. Except for a few exceptions, all of the images on my site are dynamic Javascript drawings. I guess I could try it an see. I also don't think QRZ supports a domain name. Of course, I could be wrong.

I did figure out how to connect to Office 365 using Thunderbird/POP-3. I set up the new server information and it works fine. Now I don't have to view my email with that abomination that MS has. That alone may be worth the cost of Office 365. However, I haven't completely figured out the SMTP server. Again, somehow I am having user ID and password issues. Well, I'll work that out eventually. In the mean time I have another email account that I can use for sending email.

As a, kind of, amusing story, I worked for the same company for 35 years. During that time I was heavily involved in the Unix systems as an administrator. In the early years, we ran our own mail servers. But it quickly came to light that "sendmail" was a terrible mail application. While it worked, it was riddled with security holes. So the company implemented an Exchange Server. When they started it up, I obtained the POP-3 and SMTP information and configured Thunderbird. I used that configuration across many Unix and PC systems for the next 20 years. I could move all of my email and configuration just by copying a few files. Then, just before I retired, the company had some mail server issues and questioned me about my account. The server admins were curious about how I was getting my email, because I never had any mail or mail folders on the server. So I told them that I used a POP-3 connection and never leave anything on the server. So they said "what's POP-3?". They looked through all of their documentation and admin procedures and couldn't find any information on using POP-3. Finally, one of mail admins figured out what it was and said, "Oh, we don't support POP-3, so you can't use it.". So I said, "OK" but thought "Yes you do", and went on using it until I retired.

AE7LP, KA2CZU, AG6QR and 2 others like this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what the SAY. And my callsign@verizon<dot> net works perfectly fine as POP3. to both send and receive e-mail as it always has. My personal@verizon<dot>net can receive e-mail as POP3, but it can't send, or the AO_*ell server won't recognize the password I use for the AO_*ell email client. I've spent at least (total) 12 hours, and at least ten phone calls to AO_*ell, and they can't seem to figure it out either, or hang up in the middle, and then say "we reset your password too many times... you will have to wait 24 hours before we can help further..." Of course, the next day, it's another "tech" that handles the call(s,) so it's back to square -1.

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

IIRC, I had to re-setup my FTP credentials after my ISP went to C-Panel, too, so who knows. : P

The problem with some ISPs switching over to Office 365 is that with some of them, you're forced to use IMAP instead of POP--not very desirable if you prefer using POP.

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ha! Now that's funny right there! That says a *lot* about the current status of the internet and who's running it these days!

I'm predicting some *huge* internet outages in the near future.

KP4SX likes this.