ad: Amateuramateur-1

The Official "Show Us Your Shack" Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0AMT, Jul 26, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very impressive station. Much detail involved! I recognize the hf station. What are the small radios and what are you monitoring?

2. KC1UA

KC1UA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

The small radios in the rack are various Uniden scanners. They are interfaced via serial to USB converters as well as via audio to one of the shack PC's. You may notice briefly in the video a screen with multiple copies of software running in a "stacked" configuration. This is ProScan software which not only remote controls the scanners but also does a nifty job of recording .wav files for discovered radio transmissions, affording for later playback. The .wav files can be sorted by frequency, talkgroup, timestamp as well. These scanners are used for searching and identifying new signals, federal, military, public safety, etc. The other scanners on the shelves provide live scanner feeds through the Broadcastify website. Specific links are posted on my QRZ page. I also use an Airspy R2 SDR for wide spectrum monitoring via SDRSharp software. It allows me to observe signals in an up to 8 MHz wide window. Fun stuff.

The cat is Jake, one of five in the house, and the most sociable and vocal. :)

Thanks for watching the video and for the inqury!

W4RAV, W7ADC and N9CAV like this.
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome

N9CAV likes this.
  4. KE0DJR

KE0DJR Ham Member QRZ Page

My shack as of today IMG_6187 (2).jpg

N9KFW, KC1UA, N9CAV and 1 other person like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have two "shacks." This one is a lot of fun, often more challenging, and definitely has a better view:

upload_2018-1-9_15-23-48.png

upload_2018-1-9_15-24-43.png

The essential kit components:
    • 17' MFJ telescoping whip + 4' extension for low bands
    • SGC-237 coupler
    • TGE 40A voltage booster
    • 140Ah auxiliary battery bank
    • Portable solar panels for longer operating periods
    • IC-7200 (IMHO, one of the best HF radio buys on the market right now)
    • RasPi with touch screen and custom software for RTTY and CW
    • Teensy-based radio interface for RTTY and CW
    • A big box full of cables. ;)
    The facilities can sometimes be a bit rough (think "summer camp"), but the view in the summer and fall months can be hard to find in a fixed-location QTH:

upload_2018-1-9_15-35-53.png

WZ7U, KC1UA and N9CAV like this.
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope you don't get in a crash and that air bag is needed to save your passengers life!!;)
    John Johnston

7. KK5JY

:)

The entire kit is quickly disassembled at the end of an operating session, and the radio, computer, and most of the "inside" stuff is packed safely away in Storm cases or other containers, and stored in the bed of the truck. Among other things, that lets me transfer the entire kit between vehicles, as needed.

WB0MPB likes this.
  8. KE0DJR

Is that a Raspberry Pi if so that is what i am trying to do

9. KE0DJR

10. KK5JY

Yes, it's a RasPi v3. If you are interested in the details, send me a PM.