The Official "Show Us Your Shack" Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0AMT, Jul 26, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just built this this weekend. So not completely done.
    The left side will be for tech work. Still a mess I know! But it'll be nice to have all my tools and equipment in one area and can be left there and not in the way.
    Corner top shelf is a 32" TV that I'll use as a 3rd monitor.

shack.jpg

WD4IGX, W8MIB and K2CAJ like this.
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you have a toaster oven on the right bottom shelf... I like the layout.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

*Dr* Benjamin Spock was a famous, some might now say infamous, pediatrician.

MISTER Spock is a Vulcan.

:D

W4RAV likes this.
  4. N8SAN

haha are you referring to the shortwave Lafayette? Or the small things behind the leg? Those are weights for my telescope I need to build. :)

And thank you! Can't wait to start working it.

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's the lafayette... sure looked like a toaster! Can you give more details on the project? What type of legs? Depth of the desk?

I need to work on my shack/computer room...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. N8SAN

That's funny! Nope, my dads old HA-600A Shortwave.

Actually I used old doors from the house. Did some updating from the 1957 original interior doors.
    So the bottom doors are 30" wide (deep). And 80" long. The long side, back wall, is approx 11' So I cut a couple doors short.
    The top shelves (door) are 18" wide and same length.
    I used 2x4"s for the support structure.
    For the base I used 3/4" black pipe with floor plates on each end. One screwed to the 2x4, and the bottom is just free standing. Poured concrete floor so not gonna screw into that.
    Having those plates on both ends not only lends stability but worked good for adjustment.
    Top shelf same way. Just used 1/2" legs.
    Used the door handle holes for wire pass through.
    Just need to find a few office roll around chairs.

7. N8SAN

19CA0D19-9239-4F13-93A3-CFE0681C0CFA.jpeg Sorry for the “double post”. But here’s with everything up.

W4RAV, W6ELH and KI4RHR like this.
  8. KI4RHR

KI4RHR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful scope! You do any imaging or do you actually look through it? (I'm a deep sky guy, so there's a camera in my way, usually.)

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Astronomy is one of my other life long hobbies, on long term hold while I dwell in light pollution hell here in metro Atlanta, save for keeping up my subscription to Sky and Tel (I have issues back to at least 1973 though sadly not continuous) and some occasional bino observing when I get to darker skies. Definitely on the list for the retirement man cave / fortress of solitude in the north GA mountains though!

That wider view just makes it more awesome by including the Meade. (Now make it a Tak or AP refractor, add a Starmaster... yes, I know what they cost! I don't have 'em either!)

10. N8SAN

Thank you! I REALLY want to get a camera attached to it! I have a steep leaning curve in the coming months. Will be needing guidance.

Actually, I just got this scope a week ago. Bought it from my step moms daughter. (no relation)
    I've used it once to check out the moon. I KNEW there were quite a few astronomers here on the 'zed and was going to start a thread on it. I'm definitely interested in space and will need some guidance on using it. I've read from "purists" that it's not that great of a scope but hell, it's better than my iPhone and starwalk app! I can actually look at things!

It has the Autostar, not the "Starmaster". Not sure the difference.
    Came with 3 eye pieces.
    6.3mm; 10mm; and a 26mm and 2 "Telenegatives" a 2x and a 3x.

Anyway. Not what this thread is about!