The Official "Show Us Your Shack" Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0AMT, Jul 26, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks! The digital readout is called a Heathkit SB-650... they are fairly rare - they sold for $299 at a time when the whole transceiver sold for not much more, but Heathkit was trying hard to play "keep up" with trends towards digital displays.

The SB-650 to this day goes for around $200 to $300 on eBay (in working condition, of course) and will NOT work if the receiver is not 100% properly aligned! If it works on even one single band, the device works - but may fail on other bands because the receiver alignment isn't perfect, so the count isn't perfect either. Nor will the SB-650 work if the receiver is in AM mode or WWV mode.... hence, it was pretty rare and they are hard to find today. I ONLY have one "cuz I can" - I had two of them - one for the SB-301 and one for the SB-101. But with the SB-301/401 pairing, you either get to have a digital receiver display with separate transmitter/receiver operation or you get to have "transceive with the 301/401" but NOT both. So in my case, I keep the SB-650 just for fun, and run the SB-301/401 as separates for CW.

My advice? Don't waste your time on an SB-650.... the analog dials on Heathkit SB rigs are MORE than adequate for all but the most anal "Zero or Five" crowd :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WW2PT likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw this in a Flex forum:
    "My station; Flex, SPE, computer, and 3 monitors, has been running 24/7 for 5 years. I live in the shack most of my waking hours and want to keep an eye on the bands even if I'm not actively operating. I do shut down the Maestro overnight,"
    I looked him up on QRZ and he has an incredibly neat shack but live in it? Although my failing is I watch too much TV so who am I to talk?

3. AG7UK

AG7UK Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the reloading setup in the shack right next to the ham rig...no walking to go between the hobbies!

4. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My little setup.....

Russ

Attached Files:

WD4IGX, WW2PT, W7UUU and 3 others like this.
  5. ON4OM

ON4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

ON4OM

FTDX5000 + long-wire
    IC-R9500 + ALA1530N

[​IMG]

K0VWL, WD4IGX, KI7HSB and 6 others like this.
  6. ON4OM

ON4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

ON4OM
    FTDX-5000 + 80m Long-Wire
    IC-R9500 + ALA1530N

[​IMG]

VK6APZ, KI7HSB, KA2CZU and 7 others like this.
  7. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice shack!
    I like that world map/time zone clock. Or is that a monitor? If so, what software is that?

8. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice... Similar layout to what I am building.

9. KZ4EX

KZ4EX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. VE2MBT

VE2MBT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

20191208_181659.jpg VE2MBT, Amos, Quebec. Flex 6500, IC718, FTDX5000, TS-480, FTM-400, SPE 2K-FA - 160/80/40 fan dipole / TH11DX beam

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    KC2YMO, N3FAA, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.