The Official "Show Us Your Shack" Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0AMT, Jul 26, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great comments Amen to that.

G3ZPF and WW2PT like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As of tonight.... cluttered for sure but I like it. Super cozy - big screen for my wife and me to stream movies - game station for Diablo III or Flight Sim - toasty woodstove on nights like tonight - and when the doggy is out here, her bed is right by the stove and she loves it. All the radio positions are operable and on a patch bay to use any radios I choose.

Cozy and functional - photo from about an hour ago

Dave
    W7UUU

shack 2.jpg

W9CQG, K0EED, W3ATV and 2 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Main operating position as of just now...

Dave
    W7UUU

shack 3.jpg

W9CQG, W3ATV, G3ZPF and 3 others like this.
  4. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

very impressive, do you find yourself using the hammurlund very much? I have a 170 and use to own a 180.

6. W7UUU

Fairly often - it's the primary receiver right now for my "Nostalgic Novice Network" KN7NNN and featured on the "club" QSL card. It's a wonderful receiver!

But I don't spend as much time working KN7NNN as I should - I honestly have trouble getting folks to copy the call sign correctly without several resends. Since I spend much of my time doing CW contests and such, it does get a little cumbersome trying to get the "weird call sign" across sometimes :)

I wish there was more SWL action these days - the HQ-180 spends a lot of evenings on Radio Havana and, when really strong, the big Chinese broadcasters either doing English propaganda broadcasts or playing Ethnic Chinese music.

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2019-12-4_16-58-0.png

W3ATV, WW2PT and KA2CZU like this.
  7. W7UUU

FUN NIGHT!!! Took off work a little early and hit the shack - just got a batch of 18' high-quality RG-8X jumpers and FINALLY have all the "side operating positions" up and running! They all wire back to the main ops patch bay - I dial in the antenna and tuner for the appropriate band segment, patch in the rig, then relocate to the chosen rig's seat and off I go!

Tonight it was all the basics - getting the patch cables in, labeled, and color coded. ALL the receivers tested and are 100%. Next I will add the jumpers as needed to allow for manual TR of the various separates and get all the transmitters checked out.

But for now, for tonight, very nice progress.

I elevated the SB-600/SB-101/SB-640 with a strip of wood to length of the three pieces (35 3/16") and then painted in "Heathkit Dark Turquoise" to match the SB rigs. The long riser feet didn't provide enough tilt - so I went with the painted board - looks quite nice!

Also added back the "very rare and hard to find Heathkit model GD-128" Fan Controller system and enough fans added to draw away the heat from the SB-101 under the shelf, and the SB-401 on top - with a single fan on the SB-301. The fans are awesome to keep the heat drawn out in tight spaces... wonderfully expandable system, that!

In this lineup are all the restored Heathkits from my K1T event from August 2017:

1. SB-301/SB-401/SB-600 operated only as separates 100% CW (you either can transceive, or use the SB-650 digital display - difficult to do both - since I have the restored 650 that's the way I chose to go!)
    2. SB-101/SB-640/SB-600 operated mostly as SSB since the 301/401 are the CW-only rigs
    3. DX-60b/HG-10b/HR-10b for CW mostly but also for AM with the D-104
    4. Drake 4C receiver with a homebrew transmitter on 40/80 but this winter I hope to rework the transmitter to 30m dedicated CW QRP (5 watts)

Super fun to have the Heathkit rigs back on the air - listening as I type this to a guy yakking on 7250 from Arizona on the SB-101 - sounds GREAT!

Dave
    W7UUU

SB1.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB3.jpg

SB4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 5:57 AM
    WW2PT, N4XRD, KA2CZU and 1 other person like this.
  8. W9CQG

W9CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice collection of Heathkit, Dave.
    The Heathkit digital readout is cool...I've never seen one before.

9. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful Setup Dave,
    Curious what your using for your patch panel setup? Did you make it or was this something already pre built? I'm looking to do something like that (not nearly as many rigs lol but give me time HA!!) and would like to tie them all together so all I have to do is like what you are doing. Choose the receiver and transmitter and away you go.

10. W7UUU

Thanks! I just have a simple BNC to BNC patch panel for all the "main position rigs" (IC-7300, FT-950, etc.) and then a color coded bundle for all the other operating positions that I just pull in and patch to the "Ant" BNC jack. All home-made stuff nothing fancy

Dave
    W7UUU

patch2.jpg patch1.jpg