The Official "Show Us Your Shack" Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0AMT, Jul 26, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I would like a pic nevertheless. I didn't know what a Yaesu FT-987D was so I looked it up. Seems like a very flexible rig with many ways to deploy. Very nice choice. I will assume your comment was meant as "mine is too humble to show." But, isn't this how this hobby of ours starts and grows?

KC0KEK, KI7RPM and KQ4MM like this.
  2. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New shack update: my current radio set-up is on a wooden platform built under the house (enclosed, but not insulated). It is hot in the summer, and cool in the winter. It is a dirt floor area, so the platform is not the cleanest (I cover all the equipment).

For my new shack I purchased a 10' x 12' Old Hickory shed two years ago and have slowly completed the following: Installed electric, installed insulation, sheet rocked, taped and mudded the walls, installed ceiling fan and canned lights, sanded and primed the walls and ceiling, installed electric sub panel, and yesterday finished the ground system (three 8-foot ground rods bonded to the subpanel). I installed the ground rods the old fashioned way (my favorite hardware rental store did not have an adapter to use on their jack hammer). I was on a ladder and used a 2-pound and 5-pound sledge hammer. The ground rods were surprisingly not too hard to pound into the ground given all the slate bedrock in my area. The first two rods I filed the mushroomed top down, on the final rod I used a cut-off wheel (DOH!). I then used Harger uni-shots to exothermically weld the ground wires to the rods. I have one wire leading to an antenna entry panel where I will have lightning protection and will route the coax and ground into the shack. I need to do a final coat of paint and then will move tables, put up shelves and set up the equipment. I am hoping everything will be completed in time for the Pitcairn DXpedition. Lastly, I have mounted a mast to the side of the garage close to the shack and will be mounting a rotor, another mast and my hexbeam onto a mast mount. I also have a 6 through 40 meter multi-band dipole, and a 80 meter dipole available. It has been a long time coming to this (5 years!).

Will post picture once all is completed.

Roger N6RGR

WZ7U likes this.
  3. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!

4. KI7RPM

KI7RPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!!!

KC0KEK likes this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like my amp and tuner to my right because I'm (very) right handed and it's much easier to tune both than it would be if I had to reach across to my left. YMMV of course, especially if you are ambidextrous or left handed.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there anything a PanaVise can't do? LOL

WW2PT likes this.
  7. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be shy.. I posted mine and its still just several piles of parts scattered about three areas...

8. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The important thing is there...the Fridge...hopfully good filled. No Coffee Machine?

9. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the latest version of my "shack"... finally back on the air after some room and desk refinishing. The-Shack-10-1-2019.jpg

W3ATV, WW2PT, G3ZPF and 2 others like this.
  10. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dig the old Ten-Tec PM-3!

KA2CZU likes this.