The OFFICIAL QRZed 2011 W6D thread and Travelogue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the Drake R4C somewhat revived, I moved on to the other items acquired at Dayton.

The Swan 250C/Supply:
    This is in IMMACULATE Shape, and, after spraying the switches/pots with Deoxit, performed perfectly with lots of power output and good reception of received signals. I do hear some HUM in the speaker, though, so I need to replace the Power Supply electrolytics in it. Need to find the Size/value/form factor for those. Shouldn't be too tough a job. But otherwise, the radio is in excellent shape!

Hallicrafters SR-150.
    I tore off the bottom and looked over what was going on. One area seen different than stock was the antenna relay. The contacts had been mashed just enough so that it was sending RF on TX right into the RX as well. Thats no good!!! I tore out the relay and bent the contacts back to proper shape, and then repowered the radio. Now, the Push to talk or Vox works, but I hear no sound from the speaker, and no indication of TX out. Don't know if the Final tubes are toast or what. I need ALOT more work on this, and start measuring voltages to see if the PS's are good. The meter moves abit so that says the AGC works. Maybe the speaker isn't hooked up in the PS150-120. That will take more work. But no meter indication on RX signals so it looks like RX and TX are stone dead. Ran out of time today to work more on it.

Meanwhile, other projects are left waiting, like I STILL need to align the Heathkit RX-1 and get it back in the cabinet. Also have to troubleshoot the SO2R relay system I built to find why it doesn't work

SO MANY PROJECTS, so little time to do them.!!!! And, to top all this off, I have a Heathkit HW-104 on the way to me that ALSO doesn't work!!! Wish the boss would go on a LONG vacation so I can get some WORK done!!

The rule seems to be HAMS only sell BROKE radios at Hamfests! Radios they can't fix. So far, out of 4 radios bought, only one worked and that was after I sprayed the switches. It was intermittent before hand.

This would be REALLY Frustrating to a NEW HAM who hoped he could just go home and plug it in and get on the air.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to effect a moratorium on buying rigs that need repair until you get caught up!

I KNOW you won't do that though!!:D

I bought an Icom amplified hand mic with a tone pad on it once at a hamfest for $5.
    It didn't work. I opened it up to check it out and there was no mic element in it!
    I sold it to someone for $15 on eBay that just needed the tone pad to repair their same mic.

By the way, the card is in the mail!:)
    W6D may be the ONLY card I ever put on the WALL!!:)

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year's card is really great looking.
    I expect this year's card to be equally as good. :)

4. WA6MHZ

The cards are ORDERED and being processed as I type. Should be in in about 2 weeks. remember, if U want a card, send me a request!!! I want ALL of my good friends here on QRZed to get a card, REGARDLESS of whether U worked me or not! I ordered a LIFETIME supply a cards!

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you will attach a scan here so I can see if it is worth my valuable time to request one.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I only want one if it has a Black Widow on it. :D

7. WA6MHZ

Just got an Email from White Castle HQ and they want to use my Photos of the Town Car with White Castles on them on their website!
    [​IMG]

The Town Car becomes EVEN more famous!!!

Wonder if I can get a FREE White Castle out of the deal? Only have to drive 2000 miles to get it!

8. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

White castle should ship you some every day Air Express, in one of those insulated boxes to keep them warm. ;)

9. WA6MHZ

Maybe I can drive again next year IF White Castle officially SPONSORS the trip (Pays of the gas!). I will even put White Castle LOGOS on the sides of the Town Car! If not, maybe Yaesu, Kenwood, Ten Tec, Elecraft, Heil, Icom, or Alinco want a shot at it. Lets make the Town Car look like a NASCAR!!!

10. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Towncar Hamvention Trek, brought to you by Yaekencom! You should propose that! Don't forget a QRZ.com decal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.