ad: elecraft

The Official Gates Thread, post what yez gotz!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, May 31, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It's show and tell time Boys and Girls. Arguably one of the greatest names in broadcasting equipment,
    Gates has garnered a faithful following of users and collectors alike, myself included and while I no
    longer use the Yard Console or the BC-1H, I do have a great amount of love for the history and equipment
    lines Gates was known for.
    So, if you please, post some photos and stories about your Gates equipment past and present.
    This little gem followed me home the other day while visiting a friend. Funny how that happens.
    I would like to use this for AM field day. :) IMG_3235.JPG

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are some photos of my BC1-T, with cabinet modifications. Notice the silly little triangular peep-hole has been expanded to complete the rectangle, forming a viewing window that allows a full view of the 833As from the operating position. That stupid ventilation grille thing under the door that sticks out, serves no conceivable purpose and was always in the way, has been re-built, flattened to be flush with the front of the door. Now it looks more like a transmitter and less like a soda machine.

gatesfrontview3.JPG

Viewing Window.JPG

Grille.JPG

Here's a back view. You can see the Raytheon RA-1000 audio driver, with a pair of 845s transformer coupled to the 833As, mounted inside the cabinet. This replaces the 807 cathode follower driver unit, which doesn't fully excite the grids of the modulator tubes and always tended to be flaky-intermittent. The big grey choke in the corner next to the plate transformer is the replacement modulation reactor. It is a potted unit, 50 henries @ 670 mills, and doesn't talk back like the stock one did.

RA1000 audio driver.JPG

WA3VJB, WZ5Q, N6YW and 1 other person like this.
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is enough to make a girl all warm and fuzzy inside.

N6YW likes this.
  4. N6YW

Don...
    An absolute BEAUTY!
    I love how you made it look better by common sense design alteration. It looks great.

5. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gatesair RF-32 and RF-12 for test last year.

1WTC

Attached Files:

• 071.JPG
      071.JPG
      File size:
      160.7 KB
      Views:
    N6YW likes this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cut my Broadcast engineering teeth on a Gates VP-50. Only THREE of them ever built, and when we retired ours in 1987, it was the only one operating. It was a beast...we got 14 YEARS out of the 7480 vapor cooled final....operating 24/7/365. It loafed along at 50 Kw, and would put out 100,000, fully modulated without even asking "Mother may I." (Of course we didn't run it that way. Since we had a DA, though we did run at 52,500, our licensed power.

KJ4YEV, AF6LJ, W2VW and 1 other person like this.
  7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate being too busy like I am now. My work progress has slowed to a glacial rate on mine. Woe is me.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Gates Radio was a pretty cool company. Old Man Parker Gates identified the need for reliable, basic broadcast equipment for the many locally-owned AM stations that went on the air after WW2 in small communities across the country. He managed to get a large share of the business that would otherwise have gone to premium equipment manufacturers like RCA and Collins. I once heard Gates Radio compared to Leo Meyerson's World Radio Labs, as an economical way to get on the air. The tradeoffs of technical design and the level of component quality are noted, but the choice for many of those daytime-only AM stations back then might have meant NOT hiring another staffer for news, or sales, or as a DJ.

In an old station photo of mine (1992) you can see a Gates Studioette desk console on the right, next to the Spotmaster 5-Spot cart machine. That board sure sounds good, even today, although I've got it on a shelf in favor of some other console I later picked up. The Studioette was made for many years. This one has the now-rare 6267 mic preamp tube, partly explaining its wonderful sound.

http://qsl.net/wa3vjb/VJB92.jpg

Adding a link from my friend Barry Mishkind's website.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/gates-tx.htm

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    W2VW, N6YW and AF6LJ like this.
  9. N6YW

And that is a most compelling story Paul, thank you. I always pulled for the underdogs in any industry or sport and I love how they ate up market share
    away from the twin evil empires of RCA & Collins. I have the Gates master hardbound catalog from the early 1960's and it's a fine reference work for
    a historical view of the product lines. It should be scanned and reproduced as a PDF.
    73 de Billy N6YW

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to see more Gates Gutz....
    Give me that Old time BC P0rn.