The Official DX "ATNO" thread

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With only 39 entities in my log, I have a lot of ATNO's to go.

Tried my first CW qso in many years (QSB kept it from being "official") last week, think once I really get going there, the number should/could go up.... but for now:

latest ATNO:

PJ4EL - Bonaire

KI4MYD, W7UUU and KD2UHD like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow!! Two in a row on 40m just now - 8Q7RM on Kandolhu Island using FT8, and DT8A on Shetland Island on CW.... both ATNOs for me!! Yay!!

Dave
    W7UUU

shetland.JPG

KA2CZU, N5CM, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  3. KD2UHD

KD2UHD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KC4USV in Antarctica - McMurdo Station on FT8 20M sent -03 received +9 Today at 00:54 WOW!

KD2UHD, KP4SX, NT9W and 1 other person like this.
  5. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

This afternoon I worked VK9DX on 30m, middle of the day. Have you looked at his QRZ page, and hisQSL instructions?

KD2UHD likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good catch! What is about his QSL policy that grabs your attention? If it's charging $5 that's not terribly unusual these days.

Maybe he's trying to keep up with the tax man for that amazing mansion estate!!

Curious - what mode were you on?

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think his whole attitude about how lucky we are to work him with our "tiny and feeble" signals is a bit over the top. He could have worded that much more politely, instead he comes across as a jerk IMHO. I would not buy one of his watches either for that reason.

8. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

For just a LoTW click? He's not an expedition, he lives there!
    What mode? Oh, on FT8(of course). I see your call there often, too, Dave.

Well, I have Christmas Island with a paper card, but now that I don't get around so good it's more difficult to get my paper cards "certified." So LoTW has even more value to me than before. My Mt Athos card is on the way, too, so there will be twice as much reason to go as now. He (QSL manager for Da Monk) did not offer an LoTW option.

KD2UHD and W7UUU like this.
  9. W7UUU

Oh, I get it - $5 for a mouse click. But if it's an ATNO that you want in your LoTW, whatcha gonna do? Can't be many hams in Norfolk Island which of course is it's own DX entity in VK-land. For the same $5 I'd request the paper card, and just add it to your Mt. Athos (and whatever other paper cards) for your next trip to the ARRL DX Card Checker :)

Either way - good DX catch (well, both of those!) for sure!

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2UHD likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW - letter postage from VK to US is USD$2.49