The New York Times How to Survive the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Sep 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if those gummi bears were sugar free? :eek:

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the Aztecs said the world ended LAST year!:confused:

Gotta go. The zombies are at my door front.:p

3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious.....serious question:

What do you consider "very good results"?

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck with the Ramen. How about a case of Jack Daniels? Jim Beam does just as well, however. If you can afford it, Chivas Regal would be best.

KQ9J and W5WN like this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Performance at a level equal to or better than a resonant vertical antenna with an excellent ground/counterpoise underneath it.

7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

How is such a comparison made? Modeling, or actual A<>B on-air tests?

As for "very good results", I meant in terms of QSOs per hour, total QSOs, total multipliers.

8. KK5JY

Three ways.
    1. A/B comparisons between the loop being tested and an actual resonant antenna that has previously been vetted as an efficient installation (near-ideal uncorrected feedpoint impedance, corresponding on-air performance, etc).
    2. Comparison of the computer models of the loop and the reference antenna, including corrections for ground losses, conductor losses, conductor size, installation height, etc.
    3. "Live fire" testing, where I watched the loop fill my log in a contest just as fast as the reference antenna, and with stations at similar distances as the reference antenna.
    Honestly, for ham purposes, #3 is the only one that really matters, but I like to be thorough. ;)

9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

From that article's opening:

"After the British writer G. K. Chesterton visited the United States for the first time, he remarked that America was “a nation with the soul of a church.”

Mr. Chesterton wasn’t referring to the nation’s religiosity but to its formation around a set of core political beliefs enshrined in founding “sacred texts,” like the Declaration of Independence."

After I read the first sentence (and before I read the second), my first thought was that, "yeah, when someone doesn't like the church, they go start their own," which I of course intend to mean that when someone doesn't like something about America, no matter how trivial it may be, they try to create their own version of it around them rather than become a member of the Nation. After all, that's why there are so many churches.

Hah...

W4IOA and W5WN like this.
  10. KK5JY

...the highest form of flattery...

Unintended or not. :cool: