ad: elecraft

The New Guy...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W1WDW, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1WDW

W1WDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, since the time of my last writing i have made numerous contacts, including some vaulable SKYWARN and ARES/RACES information too. Luckily I live in a populated area with numerous 2-meter repeaters, and there are many nets going on also. I am having trouble accessing some of the repeaters due to either programming issues or sheer stupidity on my part, but most of the rest I have signed on to at least once. KG4HBN ended up being my first contact.

KJ6DKK, I will say i know exactrly what you are talking about having trouble with the calls, with a call like KJ4"QXZ", it doesnt exactly roll off the tongue! I still think the FCC was playing a joke on me.. I will eventually get a vanity but all in due time.. My biggest issue is quickly trying to write down or remember the other stations calls because most of the time they dont realize im new and spout it off like its nothing. So usually I ask them to repeat it so I can not only do a lookup but add it to my logbook as well.. Its nice to be able to call somebody by name once in a while!

73, KJ4QXZ

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not? You had the grapes to use your 2M equipment illegally during your stint as a firefighter.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. KA9MOT

Welcome to the hobby Chris, There is some amazing stuff in your future.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, 'Kilo Juliet 4 Quebec Xray Zulu' is pretty good on phone. If you intend to do CW, something shorter might be a good idea, but that one will get through on voice.

5. W1WDW

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

6. KA9MOT

No problem! I try to give each new ham the welcome they deserve.

7. W1WDW

I'll tell ya something right now, what I did when I wasn't a radio amateur really has no meaning to what I do AS a radio amateur. I very highly doubt that you have followed EVERY law EXACTLY as written for your entire life. I suppose you have never drive even 1mph over the limit ever. But does that make you not worthy of ever becoming a licensed driver, or worse yet, make you a scourge to the driving community? No, im sure you have never hurt someone in a crash or anything like that, so how can you sit there and tell me that I am "the kind of ham nobody wants" just because of what I did YEARS before i took the test and got my ticket?

Just because I broke one of the fifty thousand rules that the FCC write out daily, doesn't mean that, 1. I did it intentionally (meaning i knew about that rule), and 2. did it maliciously with the intent to cause great harm to the general or radioing public.

You need to seriously review your comments and think really hard about the image you as an individual give to the rest of us licensed hams around the US and globe.

Theres a very big difference between using a radio for public saftey purposes as an aid to the public to prevent the loss of life or property damage, and jumping on the amateur bands and playing my mp3 player or cussing up a storm on them. What I did was a public service, regardless of whether i was a ham or not, and regardless or whether it was "legal" or not, isnt that what ham radio is? A public service? That's bring me to another point, you call me a volunteer fireman "whacker". First off, I was paid as a career firefighter, not a volunteer. Secondly, the term "whacker" I assume you mean in the mode that I take this firefighting "hobby" to the limits, with bright flashing lights on my vehicle and go to every call and try to take command. Well let's see... Even if i did take my "hobby" to extreme lengths, I have seen your photos of your shack. You seem to have quite the setup there... So could I in fact call you an Amateur Radio Whacker? Because you seem to take your hobby to great lengths...

I came here meaning no disrespect to ANYBODY, including you because i dont even know you, nor do you know me. I expect the same respect that I gave to people, and while I may have done something that technically wasnt "legal", when I wasnt a radio amateur, doesnt mean that I disrepected you, your family, your job, or your friends.. You are clearly passionate about your hobby, as am I, it has opened a world of technology that I can learn more about. Everybody starts from the beginning and everybody learns as they go. That's what I'm doing. If you have nothing constructive to add, keep your god damned mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboard..

----

To the rest of the Amateur Radio world, I trust that this "KC0REY" guy is the exception to the rules in "The Amateur's Code" about being patient and helpful to beginners. I would certainly hope that he is one of very few who decide to personally attack beginning radio amateurs. I have met some great people already on the air and online, and I hope that KC0REY is one of the only people I meet with such a poor attitude toward new people.

For everyone's sake and so that KC0REY can learn something, I will repost "The Amateur's Code" for review. I have bolded some key parts I find rather important.. ;)

The Amateur's Code

The Radio Amateur is
    CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.
    LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.
    PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station and operation above reproach.
    FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.
    BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.
    PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country and community.
    --The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

8. KA9MOT

3 Million accident free miles as a truckdriver. Plenty of speeding tickets, but that is not really what we are talking about is it?

I'll digress on this part. Still ignorance of the law is no defense.

Says who? This is the internet bucko, get over yourself

Ham Radio is a hobby. Not a public service.

First. VOLUNTEER Fire Fighters are HEROES. Paid firefighters and police get paid to put their lives at risk.

Second. Whackers are people who get in AR simply so they can play cop/firefighter etc. They have no other interest in AR and give the rest of the AR community a bad name because most are losers who can't get a date and must entertain themselves otherwise by showing up to emergencies and other events and interfering with the real public service folks...instead of staying home and waiting to be asked for assistance.

You have to earn respect. I'm sure your daddy talked to you about that when you were a small boy.

Yes, I am passionate about my hobby. I am very happy to hear that you are also passionate about the hobby. I detest scofflaws.

Everybody starts at the beginning and learns from those who come before, As I did. Every thing I posted about/to you was constructive. You just have to close your mouth and open your ears.

----

Because I was a little rough with you, don't assume I am anti-new ham. I am anti-scofflaw. I am anti-whacker. I am very pro new ham. I do believe that new hams are good for this hobby. I also believe that we need to be careful out who we bring into this hobby. We should be more selective.

Just like the firefighter. Would you bring an outlaw into the fire department and welcome him with open arms. How about an old man on his last legs? They want to be firefighters, but by golly they might cause allot of harm.

I am a VE. I also try to Elmer new hams as they come my way. Sometimes I am rough and gruff. Sometimes I am kind and tender. I have given allot of equipment to new hams.
    I am President of our brand new club that is chock full of new hams that I helped test and helped Elmer.

I just don't like you outlaws.

I believe that you did not know using your Amateur gear in support of your fire dept was against the rules.

I believe you when you say you are very serious about the hobby, and can be a great asset to the hobby.

I don't believe you have the authority, nor the ability to force me to shut my (expletive, I won't take the Lord's name in vain) mouth.

Never have.
    DOne deal as well, but even though I am a member I disagree about the ARRL. That is for the individual to decide. Don't you agree?

I do my best on a very limited income. Sometimes I also teach new hams and boy scouts basic electronics.

You might disagree but I have no problem with this.

Uhhh-ohhh......sometimes the grocery money gets spent....and then I have to sell something when the family starts complaining. :D

Hey I am there, when asked.
    Clearly implies radio, not DA ZED :D

9. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, the vast majority of Hams are not like that.

The vast majority of Hams will politely and gently inform you of any errors you may make, and then assume you have learned the better way to do it.

QRZ is like any other web site. There are those who's normal style is to critisize first. It is unfortunate that one has decided to park himself on this page.

And good for sticking up for yourself. I am sure that you have become aware of the issue that most Hams do not condone, and you have said yourself that you do not intend to proceed that way anymore.

So, welcome to the hobby. I am sure you will find it very rewarding and interesting. I look forward to contacting you on the radio one day.

10. KF7HHD

KF7HHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that you downplaying the severity of your actions by questioning others ability to follow the law and doing things like putting legal in quotes is what people are taking issue with. also you are being an internet tough guy. saying things like "keep your god damned mouth shut" doesn't really invite cool headed discourse.

I have been caught breaking the law, trespassing to be exact. When I was caught I thought that it was a "minor" infraction, however I did not spend hours arguing with the ranger and sheriff about how little me being on a logging company's land really mattered. I did not tell the judge that my actions were easily justifiable and were for a good cause. I was selfish. I broke a law and got caught and took my punishment, but you know what? I will never break that or any other law again if I can help it. my experience with the courts and lawyers (ugh) was a fitting punishment.

Those laws are there to protect us. You could have caused death or destruction by interfering with nearby frequencies with your non type accepted equipment. and maybe you need to take a little of your own advice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.