The New Guy...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W1WDW, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1WDW

W1WDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I studied, took the exam, passed and got my CSCE, and finally my license was posted on the ULS. Still have yet to break my nervousness and make contact, but i wanted to say hello and introduce myself to everyone out there.

Hope to catch ya on the air!
    Jason

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Welcome aboard! I assume you have some type of rig from your post. Listen a lot and get a feel for how to operate and then jump right in. Best way to learn is by doing!

..........Bob

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't be shy! Jump right in!

If you're not already aware of EchoLink, that's another resource for you. You can access repeaters around the world with it from your PC.

4. W1WDW

thanks all,

Yeah I currently have 2 rigs, {DELETED} and I kept them to operate 2-meters when I got my ticket.

Right now I have an Icom V-8 handheld and I have a V-8000 mounted in my truck, however I don't currently have my vehicle with me as I just moved and took the girlfriends car instead!

I have heard of EchoLink and am anxious to start using it however, my callsign is so new, it hasnt synced up with any website databases yet except for the FCC ULS, so i cant go through the validation process that Echolink requires. I dont even show up on the QRZ database yet.

Right now my communications are limited to handheld for the moment, i can't wait to get my V8000 back in service though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome and welcome to Ham Radio :)

6. KJ4QXQ

KJ4QXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We must have been pretty close in the line for callsigns. I just received my license too! Contgratulations! I too have yet to make a call although I have done some listening on 2m and 70cm.

Hi Jason,

At the moment I have a cheapie magmount attached to a cookie sheet in my bedroom. The FT-897D seems to pick up the local repeaters OK, though. Not sure how well I can transmit but once I get things squared away with a better antenna setup I'll try one of the nightly net calls around here.

'73
    Chris (KJ4QXQ)

7. N5DIZ

N5DIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My first radio experience

Welcome to both of you. When I first got my ticket, I had tested & was anxiously waiting for the mail (pre internet posting days) I had my talkie on & N5NAV was asking for help for communications between shelters during Hurricane Albert. I paced for a while & finally keyed up, explained who I was & that I would help if it was legal to do so, he told me given the situation it was...so I worked my first emergency net... with a mag mount attached to a cookie sheet & a talkie....talk about wading in to deep water, the great thing was I had listened enough before hand that I kind of knew what I needed to do, & I had no time to be nervous about it. It's a great hobby with great folks, enjoy.
    Fran
    N5DIZ

8. W1WDW

N5DIZ, wow!! i'd never have the grapes to do something like that, mainly out of pure fear that the FCC would pay me a visit with some hefty fine. But good for you to want to help your community, its very nice to see that some people in this society still choose to put others first.

9. KJ6DKK

KJ6DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on getting you ticket.I just got mine 3 weeks ago today. I was nervous also but somehow made my first contact within half an hour of my call showing up on the ULS.I screwed up my call a few times that day but was warmly welcomed on the local repeaters.Now it all seems so easy.Have fun on the air

73,KJ6DKK

10. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Jason,

Congratulations !

I had the same problem when I was a Novice in 1978, trying to make that first QSO. So I finally get the nerve up thinking what rare DX might I work. My first contact wound up being 2 towns away, of course I was on 80 CW in the middle of the afternoon.

Keep listening, maybe you will find a repeater that has some type of net running, that's a good way to jump in and get your callsign heard.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.