ad: M2Ant-1

The new Buddistick Pro from Buddipole, Inc.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Sep 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5SLK

KF5SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir, you must have been a joy around Christmas as a kid.
    "I do not care to see the Sears Toyland catalog. I will review the toys when they hit the shelves..."

That is the same logic you are applying here. Also using that logic, trade shows should not exist and everyone should just buy products based on a manufacturers claimed specifications without any field testing or input from actual users.

As far as YouTubers being influencers in the amateur community, MOST licensed amateurs are capable adults who make decisions based on value, research, and experience. I seriously doubt many are going to drop everything and act like fanboys or simps to purchase what a middle aged, dad bod dude says is a good antenna.

Your squawking just irritates most. If you don't have something constructive to say, close the gaping maw.

KC5HWB, K5QBF and W4FDT like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not build your own portable antenna? When I was younger I worked allot of CW QRP portable. I built cheaply simple dipoles and hung them from trees, also several other designs and they all worked very well. Of course if you are on a summit and all you have are rocks it could be a problem.

3. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats my first experience with buddipole, I took Budds W3FF plans for a dipole and made one myself, worked great so I decided id like to purchase the commercial version so I did. Still use the same antenna today. building antennas can be a lot of fun.

KC5HWB and W4HM like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I find many hams do exactly the opposite of what you say. Too many times to count a radio, antenna or related item hits you tube and quickly its out of stock. Then after a while they hit the used market in droves. Many here can attest to that new flavor of the month syndrome even on QRZ.
    Don't know If you ever heard of Edward Bernays. He founded Madison Ave with the driving force being the emotional response of the American consumer to emotional needs and how that can be twisted into Advertising and sales.
    Every manufacture pays millions to design products to suit the emotional base not the other way round.
    Why do Manufacturers and sales related business pay for influencers? It based again on emotional response not rational.
    So based on your very poor sense of logic I think I can discount your post in its entirety especially based on your very emotional opening. '"Grumpy man bad."

Try educating yourself on Human behavior and how others take complete advantage of it.. Maybe Look up Bernays yourself. You may find yourself with near the same attitude as mine.

WN1MB and UT7UX like this.
  5. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Then it sounds like you would be better off spending more time on YouTube than you spend here.

WN1MB and N3FAA like this.
  6. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't have said it better

KC5HWB likes this.
  7. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't have any control over what is on the main page. The QRZ moderators select threads to feature on the front page.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I completely understand that. I was just hoping that Xenforo's ignore feature would carry over to the front page, since the front page is pulling stuff straight from Xenforo. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. :(

WN1MB likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood. Enter Bernays' theories and QRZ's click count interests. Things are not as innocent or otherwise innocuous as many seem to think and profess.
    It may work - provided there's such a configuration option. That said, should such a configuration option be available, getting Fred to toggle it on is another matter.

N3FAA likes this.
  10. W0TRS

W0TRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I will "stick" with the one I have and the setup I have..Ground mounted with 8 radial wires 9 feet long..With my case I carry my 705 in everything is in one case and it all fits in my pannier bag on my recumbent trike..Radio,buddistick,radials,coax 2 coils(40-10,80m) and 3d printed base..Turns it into a ground mounted vert antenna and works just like a base antenna..

11. WN1MB

There are many posts on the Zed that show quite the opposite. But who's counting, eh?

And with that, I'll preemptively "close the gaping maw" well before you command it.

12. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

oh I already do that. Easily. But the negativity here cant win, can it? If folks like me (and believe me, I am not one of the important ones) all leave due to the naysayers here, then this forum becomes what? The pinnacle of how *Not* to be a Ham Operator?

13. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just dont understand how a thread about how an old antenna gets a new refresh to how it is mounted above the ground derails into the mess it has became? One of the reasons I have really fallen in love with FT8 digital is that I dont have to talk to anyone to make a contact. It is "Hello", "yes im here", signal report you, signal report me, 73 have a good day! END of discussion moving on! No opinions are necessary like a rag chews haha I do have my rag chew groups that I regular and have made friends and we get along just fine and dandy.

I for one love the Buddistick, it is a dipole for those that don't understand antennas. That is all that a vertical is, it a dipole antenna in which one plane of the dipole is horizontal and the other plane is vertical. It has its benefits, low take off angle for DX, etc.... and it also has its cons and compromises. I can promise the people here though that I have made more long range contacts on my Steppir Big IR Mk 2 with 80m coil Vertical antenna than I have on any other antenna I have ever owned in my short 7 years as a HAM operator. The Buddistick has yielded me some great results but making DX doesn't mean you have a great antenna, making contacts when everyone else is struggling or making DX when everyone else is struggling is a sign that you "Might" have a good antenna if all other conditions can be factored. The BStick is more of a medium, dare I say, high Q coil antenna. Not a lot of bandwidth and that is a good thing when working DX because low bandwidth means an antenna offers more power punch where that signal leaving the coil and whip matters. It also helps with reception in that narrow range you can hear more precisely. I find that most verticals tend to be higher Q where as a horizontal dipole tend to offer a much lower Q making them more widebanded with many more compromises in the DX category of operation.

If you want lower Q higher bandwidth get the Buddipole, if you want higher Q lower bandwidth get the Buddistick. Its really that simple. If you want to increase coil (Q)uality factor then slap a cap hat on the top of the Buddistick. I haven't tried that yet but I am strongly thinking about doing it.

In 2015 I remember using a random wire tossed onto the forest floor "wet noodle" and made 10 meter contacts all around the world. Those days are gone. The buddistick has provided quite the reach on some days and other days it has sucked in performance. That is the nature of QRP, and if one can accept that nature, they can have fun days even when the conditions are abysmal. The Buddipole and stick are just another tool one can use in their pursuit of working the world @ low power. Where the Buddistick does shine is loading it down with some power. Put a 100 watts through it and you will be surprised at who can hear you. Put 10 watts through it and be surprised at who can still hear you. Either way its a good qrp or barefoot performer. Not outstanding, not bad. All around good!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    KC5HWB and W4FDT like this.
  14. WN1MB

"Power punch"? That must be a technical term, eh? Or perhaps instead of "eh" I should have queried "10-4?"

KC3JH and N3FAA like this.
  15. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its called an analogy to take a complex concept and simplify it for the sake of conversation.

Sorry, but you have done nothing to this thread but derail it, make fun of people, and argue about stuff that has no importance or relevance to the thread.

KC5HWB and K5QBF like this.