ad: elecraft

The new AM forum is alive!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N6YW, Apr 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

No. It is just one of my crazy projects. I built it in a Twinings tea can, sprayed it with textured paint, and repainted it with "Heathkit" green (as per the color suggested by K9STH. The front panel was printed on glossy photo paper in an inkjet printer and then sprayed with several coats of clear lacquer.

If the DDS photo didn't show up in the thread above about the DDS, let me know. I can see it in Windows, but not on my Androids for some reason

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

One advantage we have here over the other AM boards, is access to the Rag Chew Central II forum, so no reason for the kind of non-radio-related threads posted here that sometimes ignite flame wars, personal attacks and other bad behaviour. Furthermore, QRZ.com has a strict policy of no partisan politics.

AC8UN likes this.
  3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the thought police believed this QRZ spot was a threat to their existence. Now, the announcement has been deleted from two of the web-based forums. Are we really surprised, folks?

K4KYV and N6YW like this.
  4. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Fleep
    This does not come to a surprise to me at all. The one common thread among those moderators on AM Fone is fear of losing control. They are obsessed with control and editing people's posts.
    I can assure you that will not happen here.
    Too bad.

K4KYV, KD6CUB and KD2ACO like this.
  5. W4KJG

I'm not really sure what a few of the above posts are referring to -- and I probably don't want to know.

I sure hope we can keep this QRZ AM forum civil, friendly, and long-lived.

Just because of many other constraints, it will still take me a little bit of time get a rig built up to get back on AM,unless I can find an AM-ready rig for 75 and/or 40 meters,that I can lift without the assistance of a horse and two strong young people. I've got my eyes on eBay.

What really encourages me is that most of the AM QSOs I hear on 75 and 40 are still very friendly, civil, and non-controversial. They just seem to be cordial and fun. We really need this back in amateur radio.

I was looking at the schematic for my old Argonaught 505 today. It looks like I could unbalance the carrier control to produce AM, but with just one sideband. I could push it through my modified DX-60B linear Not perfect, but it might work to get the upper or lower half of me on AM!o_O

I again ask, is there anyone within about 50 miles of Winchester VA, Martinsburg, WV, or Hagerstown/Cumberland, MD who might have an old, and mostly working AM transmitter (that two healthy people, or less, can lift) that they would lend to me until I can get something of my own properly working? An old AM Heathkit, EF Johnson, Hallicafters, etc. I'll even fully "detail" it and repair and align it before returning it -- unless it is a true basket case.

I don't need a receiver, a VFO, any microphones, antennas, etc. I would just like to borrow a bare-bones AM transmitter for a few months. I don't even care if it is just a working carrier-controlled AM rig, like a DX-40 or DX-60. It just don't want a CW-only rig, like an EICO 720, without a modulator. A mostly working DX-100,DX-1ooB, or Apache would be great. The transformers just have to be good. Having a Comanche/Cheyenne setup, with an AC or DC power supply, might just put me into final Nirvana,

I'll be at our home near Southport, NC for May, and again from about October through April. Anybody in that area crazy enough to lend me an AM transmitter that I can lift?

Dang, I really want to get back on AM!

Regards,
    Desperate to get back on AM
    Ken/K8KG

P.S. I'd also consider trading my old and original novice receiver, a National SW-3, off the second SS B.F.Jones Great Lakes freighter, with a full coil set, and a 115 VAC power supply, or my SX-62B (with original manual) that was working when I packed it away years ago when it was still working. I'm sure it needs to be fully re-capped at this point. I've got a really clean and fully operational Hallicrafters S-118 that covers about 185 kHz to 31 MHz. It is my primary AM broadcast radio here in the ham shack. I've got an unmodfied SBE-33 that I bought nearly new. It too was working when I carefully packed it away about 30 years ago. I believe it needs some real TLC,although I did replace the driver (I think a 12by7) and the finals (27gb7's) just before packing it away. I've got unused tubes, like a 4E27,and a few small 4CX series. I've got some other good used tubes, like 811s, 1625s, and I don't know what all.

So ...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    KD2ACO likes this.
  6. KA4KOE

No you really don't. It's just sad. Lots of help here. Main thing is get on the air. I'm on 3885 KC now in a nice roundtable.

7. KA4KOE

That's good to know. Cuz, if things went bad, I'd get the blame for it!

8. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Have no fear about the lack of civility here on this forum. It's designed to encourage the civil & pleasant tradition which is what I consider to be a hallmark of the AM fraternity. Your enthusiasm of getting an AM signal on the air is a prime example of why we encourage this type of open forum where people can do just that, participate and have fun. Consider this place as a lounge where great things can happen to assist in the inspiration of going further within this wonderful hobby.
    I want to point out something that is very important about this forum: Not being over moderated. A hands on approach with a little guidance goes a long way towards the forum becoming its own quality assurance resource. In other words, the participants make the difference.
    Meanwhile, post away and have fun. We want to hear about your journey.
    73 de Billy N6YW

KD6CUB likes this.
  9. W4KJG

Most of my shack is completely down right now for cleaning and re-organizating. I've been monitoring 3885 with my little SDR. The AM signals here on 3885 have decent carrier levels, but the modulation is not really understandable. I unfortunately can not make out any distinguishable voice signals.

Just above, on 3895 there is an SSB QSO about eating during the great depression, and how good possum is when properly cooked. I know possoum. I know raccoon. They are partially right.

Unfortunatelyu, as I'm typing this, the QSO has switched over to delicacies retrieved via helicopters during Viet Nam - even though all confess to not having been there. They obviously never experienced any of the "stew" in zippered bags.

We really need a lot more 21st century friendly people on the air and on the forums. Maybe friendliness, in conjunction with ignoring these individuals, can help.

Ken

10. W4KJG

I've been alternating between playing and working today. We've got about 40 friends and family members coming to the farm for a three day reunion next weekend, so I'm having some panics.

Then we are headed to our beach place at the mouth of the Cape Fear River on Oak Island, NC., to get it ready for summer rentals. We'll be down there for most of May.

My 25-foot telescoping paint-pole is well set up for my truck's trailer hitch. Our beach ( Oak Island, NC) looks directly south. I can aim my homebrew 2-meter Yagi directly in a path from Myrtle Beach to Jacksonville, FL, without hardly moving it.

I've been laying out my 40/20 meter "jumper cable" loop small loop antenna. I was hoping to have it ready for testing tonight, but my brain is way ahead of my body. I've got the main parts of the 40 and 20 meter capacitors made from 8 to 12 inch pieces of RG-8 coax. My fine-tune trimmer is four inches of #4 AWG solid copper wire that slides inside about eight inches of 1/4 inch PEX pipe coated with about 4 inches of copper EMI tape.

I'm hoping I can try it out with a few hundred milliwatts this week on 40 and 20 meter JT65 JT9. I'm hoping I can test it while at the beach with some AM.