the n9ysq homebrew 222 mhz / 902 mhz challenge

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N9YSQ, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

In the spirit of 10-10 international, you could call yourselves 1-900 international. I can see it now, "Join 1-900 international and give us a call, you won't be disappointed!"

:)

2. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

While a directory is a great idea, as well as a group/organization. What I really am pushing is a sort of linking technology. Along the lines of Echolink and IRLP in terms of allowing stations that normally would be unreachable to be within grasp. Instead of picking who to talk to or a conference chat how about something with the feel of HF/ 6 meter operation? Can we link a portion of the band to a network whether or not utilizing the internet. somewhat along the lines of a transverter, take part of the band and repeat it somewhere else for reception/transmission.

The technology should be out there, whether digitizing the band and sending it through the internet/network. Maybe utilize a small portion of the band to do so, a couple hundred kilohertz or so on 902 MHz, leaving the rest easily accessible for standard means of communicating.

Its a shot in the dark but I would enjoy seeing amateur radio operators/experimenters work together to provide a more user friendly means of communicating on these higher frequencies. Depending on my availability (during school) I would enjoy helping out too. I do not mean to take over the thread, it seems like this could easily spawn into a seperate topic itself. If someone would like me to start a subtopic of this challenge please PM me (not to start a seperate project, but rather a seperate portion of the original topic to support the original goal... create more activity on the higher bands with easily accessible radios).

3. N9YSQ

N9YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

While I am not a fan of internet linking, I don't discourage those who like it. What I would rather (personal opinion here) is perhaps a website like the dx cluster for spoting . But instead of just posting spots, how about also a place for announcing both future operations and current on air activities, that shows band, power, mode, grid, antenna, and polarization. Perhaps times and elevation above ground, or other pertinate information. I would rather generate more on air than online. Most of my internet activity is done during down time at work.

4. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

Exactly! I myself and not a fan of internet linking, rarely am I on Echolink. But this idea also includes dedicated repeaters that act like a transverter, or some sort of technology which allows many users to have an actual feeling on being on the bands rather than a repeater. Any sort of technology along these lines falls into the idea, and again, its just an idea.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a few beacons might do the trick. Perhaps with some useful bulletins pertinent to the band, as well.

eric

6. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Did it employ some sort of network of linear transponders? I can see something like that working but it would have to be well coordinated and probably cross band to be practical.

7. N9YSQ

N9YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

if linear transponders are possible then it should be easy to produce a simple cw oscillator for 222. maybe 3 transistors. one oscillator and a push pull or parallel amp. boost up the signal strength with one or more good gain antennas. start a propagation study. maybe eventually get a psk type network going....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.