ad: M2Ant-1

the n9ysq homebrew 222 mhz / 902 mhz challenge

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N9YSQ, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Zack always does such marvelous work.

By the way, it's crucial you use the RIGHT circuit board material for this, to maintain high circuit Q of the trace bandpass filters. If you do this on phenolic board, it probably won't work at all! Use high quality fiberglas board or even teflon if you can get it.

eric

3. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Clever designers can "get it done" with FR4 PCB at 900 MHz! However I don't think there is much CW activity on 222 & 903 MHz (except maybe for moonbounce).

Frank:)

4. KL7AJ

This may change if our challenge results in some really good, inexpensive rigs. We might just become MFJ North. :) By the way, I'm cheating, as I have a friend with some great prototyping tools...as well as SMD workstations.

:)

eric

5. N9YSQ

N9YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

clarification

Let me restate the purpose of my challenge. The whole point of doing this is to not only generate gear, but also activity. It isn't that cw is the preferred mode, it is just that it is usually the simplest to start experimenting with. Transverters require additional hf or vhf gear. Stand alone is the point. Yeah it will probably be qrp. Yeah it may not be as versitile. But the pixie 2 works. It isn't practical. In fact it isn't much cheaper than a sw + rig and not as versitile. But it is cheap enough for anyone and fun to use. If we can come up with something like that for 222 or 903 that would be fun and easy, maybe we can generate enough activity to end threats to our spectrum.

6. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

In principal, I like the idea. How simple can you make a transmitter/receiver for those bands. I suspect that 222 will be the easier of the two. In practice, I can see the naysayers point. VHF is not HF and the hard part about weak signal modes on VHF isn't the rig really, it's the antenna and feedline. How much fun can you have in any sparsely populated region with a limited antenna and equipment on 222? What about a densely populated region?

7. KL7AJ

I'm in full agreement. And the earlier comparison to "200 meters and down" is a perfect analogy. We forget that at one time ALL ham radio was "sparsely populated" to the extreme. You only need ONE operator in any community within range of another operator. This is the basis the American radio RELAY league was based. I would like to be able to reproduce something cheap enough we can GIVE AWAY to interested hams. I am not kidding. It is definitely doable.

220 is a GREAT band....surprising coverage at times. Let's get the stuff built and get it OUT THERE.

eric

8. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to get something on 220 other than FM. I have used my IFR 1200 to monitor ssb frequencies and have heard some activity.
    But at the moment I have so many other projects goin on.

9. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

May I propose a new way to operate on the 902 MHz band? Here's the thing, as we get higher in frequency there are many more losses in coax, leaves, water, etc. Everyone knows that to some extent. Can we devise a way to operate at the higher frequencies that allows more common activities, QSO's, etc. Rather than relying on a repeaters to connect the DX (more than "X" miles, not necessarily international) on lower frequencies and sched up on the microwave bands. I do not mean anything like Echolink or IRLP. But somewhat related, not necessarily through the internet either. There must be something that can be done to increase activity once this topics projects are built. For the most part much of the activity on microwave bands seem to be during contests and are scheds, don't hold me to this as I am very interested in microwave circuitry and operating but have not done so yet. I came across a paper written for the celebration of 100 years in wireless or something like that which the IEEE held at RIT in the late 90's or early 2000 timeframe. It was a very different way of thinking about where the hobby of amateur radio is going and something along these lines are mentioned within the paper. I wish I could post it or link to it but being in the RIT archives it is only available to RIT students/faculty with a "DCE" account. Maybe I can stirr up some interest in this idea :cool:.

10. KL7AJ

Roger, Bryce

This is a very good idea. If you can get ahold of it, you should get a reproduction of the first QST (ARRL included them with the Handbook a couple of years ago). Read how the networks were started. There was a big listing of every ARRL station member as well as their station's capabilities. I know it sounds pretty quaint now...but this is just what we need....a general listing of what capacity each ham has...as well as WHERE he is.

We should put together some kind of directory of where the 902 operators are. It shouldn't be hard to do at all, now that we have the internet!

eric

Just for starters.....since I'm at the "end of the road" so to speak....I'm going to list myself in my profile as 902 active....pending. :)

eric

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.