the n9ysq homebrew 222 mhz / 902 mhz challenge

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N9YSQ, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N9YSQ

N9YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen and ladies, I have been reading posts on these and other forums outside of QRZ and have come to a conclusion. We have a need and no one else is interested in filling it, therefore we must fill it ourselves. This idea is born of these stated and reading about the g3xbm Fredbox and pixie 2. I therefore am challengeing the ham community to a design challenge. Contest: Develope a cw transmitter/ receiver combo or transceiver for the 222 mhz or 903 mhz bands. Am phone capability is also encouraged. Contest limits? Well how about must produce between 1 and 10 watts minimum. Have a keyed amplifier stage for signal quality, and be easily reproduced. By the least knowledgable of hams for around $100 or less. Parts counts should be the lowest possible for simplicity, and absolutely no more than 30 on board parts. Additionally parts should be readily available. Connectors, key/mic, power source, and antenna excluded. I know this won't be easy but we are hams. We were once told that wavelengths above 200 were worthless and we proved that wrong, we can do this too. Will you answer this challenge? I can at least produce a nice certificate of recognition, maybe get an article of the results published, and you will have the satisfaction of benefiting all hams everywhere! Contact me at n9ysq(at)yahoo.com

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely 900Mhz phones have made it easier to diy 900 Mhz stuff. I know that I have several cell phone RF bricks here that generate 3 watts in that range.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an interesting idea, but maybe something more useful might be a transverter to one of these bands. Most of us already have a QRP CW/ssb radio that could be used for all the hard stuff. That would allow better frequency agility and more modes possible on the output band.

Joe

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an excellent idea. All I hear is complaints that "nobody makes anything for 220." I shall hop right on this. It could be a nice cottage industry....MADE IN THE USA to boot!

eric

5. N9YSQ

excellent!

I think a tube model like ones from 1930,s QST would be neat too. But transistorized for the contest please. There has to be suitable 110 volt tubes! If there is enough interest I could add a tube division to the contest! Anyway, help stir up interest if you can. Thanks.

6. N9YSQ

Transvreters are great but suppose that someone new to the hobby has a 2 m ht and doesn't have the cash for a multimode hf or other rig but could build a kit for $100 for another band. The point of the challenge is not to use a transverter

7. KL7AJ

8. KL7AJ

Ahhh! I have my block diagram. And most of my parts list. I think I'll be well under the $100 bar....but might be pushing the parts count.

Stay tuned.

eric

9. N9YSQ

I am now considering splitting the contest into one for 222 and one for 903 mhz bands. How does January 1 strike you all as a deadline? Is that too far away? I hope interest grows, i think i am going to talk to someone at ARRL about it too. Further suggestions?

10. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought, but, maybe a good idea would be to list what is currently available for those bands in the form of kits and diy projects?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.