The NØPU Big Quiz

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N0PU, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0PU

N0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have decided to start a QUIZ thread and maybe we can have some fun and learn some stuff at the same time...

I'll post a question and the first person to post the answer I'm looking for gets 10 points.

The score will be kept on my server at the link listed at the bottom of my posts. Your score wil be listed by your QRZ.com ID. If it changes let me know, I'll fix the scoreboard.

The questions will all be taken from the Technical Course also listed at the bottom of my posts.

After the answer comes out I may post the 'official' answer and an explaination if it seems necesary. Questions will be welcomed and answers supplied to the best of my ability.

I sleep odd hours so you never know when I'll post a question. It may be 3 AM or 6 PM or whatever. This will keep it as fair as I can considering the venue.

Now you guys that have been around forever ( OFs ) give the newer folks a chance. The idea is to train people not show off. Additional information from the more experienced Hams is welcome and very desirable.

I am gonna start off with some basic stuff and work up through all kinds of electronics. I plan eventually to cover things like Amplifiers and Oscillators and in these tiny bits I think everybody will be able to keep up.

If anyone has suggestions.. Go for it... I'll consider almost anything... I'll continue as long as people keep answering question or we all become geniuses...

So lets get at it... my next post will be the first Quiz Question... I am going to start with the understanding that you know what an electron is and what make up matter so that we can get right into the 'trons...

2. N0PU

N0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

Question #1

A. What is the definition of a Coulomb?
    B. What is the relationship of an Ampere to a Coulomb?

Player must answer both parts to score!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A = a very hip single unit of resistance

B = same as footlongs per fortnight!

Only kidding, Harry. This is a great idea, let's see how people do....keep up the good work!

4. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Coloumb = 6.25x 10^18 electrons

5. AD6ZU

AD6ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK I'll bite:

A Coulomb is the amount of charge that flows through a given cross section of wire in 1 second if there is a steady current of 1 ampere in that wire.

Q=IxT
    Q=charge
    I=current
    T=time

6. WB4ZOH

WB4ZOH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0PU @ Jan. 09 2003,21:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question #1

A. What is the definition of a Coulomb?
    B. What is the relationship of an Ampere to a Coulomb?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Answer:
    A: Person from &quot;Coulombia&quot;
    B: The Father of a &quot;Coulombian&quot;

No joke! In class verabal response to the same questions.

Harry, a fantastic idea. Perhaps give a difficulty rating? Also, later on, in what license class your questions may be significant.

In any case, good luck.

7. N0PU

N0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.. I'm easy and we're just starting out...
    I'll give it to both of ya... this time ...hehehe

The point I was trying to get to was that:

A: Coulomb = 6.25 * 10^18 electrons (That is the basic definition...)
    B: One Ampere = One coulomb per second.

In order to relate the magnitude of these definitions one could state that:

One ampere = 6.25 * 10^18 electrons passing a single point in a single second.

This is one of the most basic definitions in electronics. It gives one the 'feeling' of what an ampere is unlike other mathematical definitions. Or so it was with me many years ago. 10^18 is a lot of moving around.

Next question soon...

8. N0PU

N0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

Question #2

What are the three different names used to describe electrical potential energy?

9. N0PU

N0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wb4zoh @ Jan. 09 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Perhaps give a difficulty rating? Also, later on, in what license class your questions may be significant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm afraid I'm not 'UP' enough on the testing material to ref the stuff to the exams and I hope to get into things that aren't covered in the exams. If you would like to comment on any of the questions you are more than welcome to, I simply don't have the time to go through all the exams and pull out individual questions that relate. I'm just gonna teach basic electronics so folks can get a feel for what is going on.

As to rating the questions, I don't know how to do that. A newbie may feel a begining question is tough where a someone with more experience may find it a snap and be bored by it. Hard to judge when you have this broad an audience. In a real classroom setting you know what the level of the average individual is in the class.

10. KB1IPK

KB1IPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I allowed to look the answer up, or do I just have to be smart enough to know it off the top of my head!? [​IMG]  [​IMG]
    Because I not that smart!!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.