The Most Interesting Net Format You've Ever Heard?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0LWC, Oct 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nets are nets. They usually consist of check-ins, roundtable and perhaps some news. However, there has to be interesting ways to structure VHF/UHF nets that doesn't conform to the usual format. What's the most interesting/fun net you've heard on the air?

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The one on 7200kc every day.

VK4HAT and KA4DPO like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

More useful than interesting or fun - Years ago when I lived/worked in Boston, there was a local 2M traffic net during rush hour which served a purpose if only to tell us why we are parked on the expressway. Now, all we need do is look at the dashboard or cell phone traffic map so that net has long since vanished.

4. KD6AYP

KD6AYP Ham Member QRZ Page

The 4:20pm "Bong Hit Net" on a notorious Southern California repeater, consisting of a "cannabis strain of the day," and anyone who checks in gets a "Bong Hit Number" from net control.

Future check-ins are done simply by giving your Bong Hit Number and the strain you're smoking. If you aren't smoking cannabis, you check in with "an asterisk."

So, my check-in would be, "This is 512 with an asterisk."

In all of my years in amateur radio, I'd never heard a net like this.

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The WaCo ARES net. After check in's and business were done the net control would often read on air something related to ham radio. He once read a local author's adventure story concerning an injured hiker lost in the Cascades with a 1/2 charged ht out of coverage. A few pages a night and the net control had a great voice for reading. And yes, some complaints rolled in concerning the legality of it.
    But it made tuning in interesting, even for a guy my age.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to do a simplex net, where one of the members would park somewhere, and the other net participants would try to guess his approximate location based on the signal strength of the fixed stations and the hidden station.

KD6AYP, AG5CK, N1YR and 2 others like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A pothead net exactly where you would expect to find one.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget 75! And while their "format" may not be too interesting early in the evening, as the ops get drunker and drunker as midnight approaches...yeah you'll hear some "interesting" stuff. :D

W4HWD likes this.
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For all its warts and wrinkles, the old SoCal Westcars net was great. Best "drive time" program on the ham bands. 7258 KHz as I recall

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a crazy net.

I want some Wedding Cake. :rolleyes:

KD6AYP likes this.